Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cnanthony33  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:02:41 PM(UTC)
cnanthony33

Groups: Registered

I replaced the pressure regulator on my gas stove because I keep detecting a leak at the center of the cap in the regulator (when testing for leaks). Now the new one I installed also shows a leak from the center of the cap (because I tested for leaks after installing) So my main question is, is there supposed to be a venting of air or something there (other then gas) that I would be detecting when testing for a leak? Or is the new one bad too? I just can't understand why it would be leaking from the center of the LP/Nat cap. Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:44:35 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi,

What did you use to detect a leak?

What is the part number of the pressure regulator you installed?

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Parts for Frigidaire FGFL77ASE Range - AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
cnanthony33  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 11:42:55 AM(UTC)
cnanthony33

Hi Gene, Thanks for asking.

I used a liquid leak detecting solution for gas pipes. With this one it fizzes white for a small leak, or produces a bubble or bubbles at leak site with a bigger leak. After the solution sits on area being tested for a couple of minutes.

I detected a bubble when I placed the leak solution inside the LP/Nat cap under the dust cap in the center of the regulator.
Part # is 316091706

Thanks
Chris
Gene  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 12:25:50 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Chris,

I'm afraid I did not get clear about the cap. Did you unscrew it and then ran the test?

What was the original problem?

Gene.
cnanthony33  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:20:25 AM(UTC)
cnanthony33

Ok no problem. I just lifted the dust cap off and sponged the liquid tester inside the LP/Nat cap, I did not unscrew the cap out of the regulator to test. It then produced a bubble in the LP/Nat cap while it is still screwed into the regulator.

The original problem was that I smelled a faint gas smell. So I checked all orfices on the stove, all connections and the only leak I found was on the LP/Nat cap on the regulator. So I replaced the regulator, and tested for leaks on all connections and then put some liquid on the screwed in LP/Nat cap on the regulator. (of the new one) Low and be hold I got a leak positive with the new regulator cap location. Just like the old one

Thanks
Chris
Gene  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 4:57:23 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Chris,

You may want to call a local gas company to check it for gas leak with a special gas leak detector. Such service has to be free of charge if you'll tell them about gas smell. don't tell them anything about the test you did yourself.

Gene.
cnanthony33  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 6:37:07 AM(UTC)
cnanthony33

Thanks for all your help. I was able to fix it last night

Chris
Gene  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:01:44 AM(UTC)
Gene

What was the problem?

Gene.
cnanthony33  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:20:13 AM(UTC)
cnanthony33

I thought it was fixed but not so Gene.

So the propane company came over and found a leak in the main propane pipe that comes in behind the oven. I fixed that while they watched because apparently they won't do the work. There was still a faint propane smell from the regulator so then I noticed that the hole in the center of the cap still faintly leaks (same problem I was already having). The propane guy told me to call a gas tech and they wouldn't fix that either.

So I have some questions maybe you can help me answer.

Why is there even a hole in the center of that cap in the pressure regulator ? Is that so as the diapham collapses it can let any gas out that is trapped ? Can I just seal the hole in the cap and all problems fixed ?

I'm getting to the point where after putting in a new pressure regulator and still having the same problem I'm going to go buy a new oven. There is no way I want to faintly smell propane from the bottom of the oven all the time.

I can usually always fix everything, but this one is bugging the heak out of me.

Thanks
Chris
Gene  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:26:19 AM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Chris,

You did not mention that you are using it on LP gas. Did you convert the pressure regulator as it is instructed in the attached file?

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply