Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BrianVamvakias  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 6:01:57 PM(UTC)
BrianVamvakias

Groups: Registered

I replaced the lower oven element in my Jenn Air and was not careful with the ground wire placement. When I tested the oven, it shorted and threw the breaker. I removed the element, checked it with a multi-meter, and the element is ok, but now neither the range elements or the oven elements will heat up. The red indicator light come on when I turn on the range, but nothing heats. Does this model have a fuse? Thanks for any help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 3:46:31 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BrianVamvakias Go to Quoted Post
...now neither the range elements or the oven elements will heat up...

Hi Brian,

Very likely the problem is with the power source for the range. Verify 240 VAC is present and coming to the range.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Parts for Jenn-Air 88370 Range - AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
BrianVamvakias  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:32:40 PM(UTC)
BrianVamvakias

Hi, thanks for the reply. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I checked the plug to the oven and I get 126V per line to ground, 248V across both . A little more than 110/220 V, but I don't know if that makes a difference. When I test the voltage at a regular plug in the kitchen, I get 126 V.

Thanks for your help!
Gene  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 12:40:56 PM(UTC)
Gene

How the range is connected electrically? Does it have a 3 prong plug or it's hardwired?

Check for voltage at the range terminal block.

Gene.
P.S. If you do have the schematic or the wiring diagram and you can post, it might help.
BrianVamvakias  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 5:19:13 PM(UTC)
BrianVamvakias

Hi Gene,

Actually, I did test it at the terminal block because I could not get to the plug. The unit is ducted into the floor and I cannot pull it away from the wall. Part of the frame is against the plug and that makes it inaccessable.
I do not have a wiring schematic and I have searched the internet to no avail. I was hoping someone would know if there was a fuse built into the oven wiring.
I am surprised that the ground wire on the bottom element did not melt when I put power to it, but it appeared fine when I removed the element to check it.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 8:03:46 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: BrianVamvakias Go to Quoted Post
...I have searched the internet to no avail...

I did the same with the same result. It's just too old. Without such information it's hard to diagnose it. Try to track the power wires.

Gene.
BrianVamvakias  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:24:30 AM(UTC)
BrianVamvakias

Hi Gene,

Ok. I will work on removing the ducting so I can pull it from the wall and try to get access to the back. Do you know if the wiring from the control panel to the baking element is accessible from a back panel? The exploded view from the sears link is some help. If I hadn't spent $50 on an element I can't return, I would just go get a cheap replacement. Because it is a Jenn Air, albiet old, I think it is worth a little elbow grease to track the problem down. Pretty soon, the pain of cooking from a microwave is going to win out and I'll just have to get a replacement! :)
BrianVamvakias  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 3:54:15 PM(UTC)
BrianVamvakias

Gene,

I found a wiring diagram in the control panel. I recreated it with paint. The top was pretty scorched, so it may not be accurate, but I think I have it pretty close. Hopefully others can use it. I will let you know if I find the problem. Now I am trying to figure out how to take it apart.
BrianVamvakias attached the following image(s):
88370 wiring diagram.jpg
Gene  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 1:17:17 PM(UTC)
Gene

You also can check the voltage at the range receptacles to see which power leg is missing.

Gene.
BrianVamvakias  
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 6:27:52 AM(UTC)
BrianVamvakias

Gene,

Thanks for your help, but I am done with this oven and will replace it. It put in a good 30 years of service. I wish I knew someone local who could use the range components because they still work fine. I'll put a post on CraigsList, I guess.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply