Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
benblim50  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:18:05 AM(UTC)
benblim50

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Downdraft Cooktop unit that had a spark unit that sparked even when all the knobs were turned off. The spark unit was ordered and replaced. It worked for one day and now no spark when the knob is turned on. When using lighter it lights so it is not a problem with the gas. What could be the problem, help.

Spark unit: GEH WB20X140
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:14:46 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Remove the knobs and check all cam-switches (#134 & #136 on the diagram). Make sure they are in the correct positions and are not worn out.

Gene.
benblim50  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:14:49 AM(UTC)
benblim50

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't understand. How does cam or can switch affect the lack of spark from the spark module? When I remove the can switch I see the cam switch which pushes a thin strip of metal which pushes an another switch making clicking noise. Could one non-working cam switch affect no spark to all the burners? With the new spark module, it was working for a day but it does not work now and I do not get any sparking sound. More explanation will be helpful.

Thanks again.

ben
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:29:34 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Ben,

In such situation I would check the power to the cooktop, the proper polarity and ground.

Cam-switch is just piece of plastic sitting on the gas valve shaft which should turn when you turn the knob and activate the ignition switch by pushing on the "thin strip of metal", closing the ignition circuit and causing the igniters to spark. The central hole in cam-switch must be exactly the same shape as the valve shaft, otherwise it'll slipping around the shaft. That's why I recommended to make sure they are not worn out.

Also there are two different kind of cam-switches with different configurations used for different burners and it's easy to switch them around.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply