Heating element kaput, stovetop ok to use?
Brand: Frigidaire Age: 1 - 5 years
My oven is a Frigidaire, not sure of the model number.
I've been cooking most of the day in preparation for company tomorrow. About 30 minutes ago I was standing in front of the stove, having just put a pan of raspberry bars in the oven, and opening some cans of tomato sauce. I saw some faint smoke right in front of me and thought it was odd since the stovetop was not on. I turned on the overhead fan and opened the oven to see if somehow something had spilled down onto the heating element. I was greeted with a glowing orange/white element putting on it's own fireworks display. I immediately turned the oven off and the sparking stopped. Now that it has cooled down I can see that about 5 or 6 inches of the element has what appears to be bubbling and it stops right where I saw the sparks before I shut the oven off.
I've checked multiple times since it happened and there have been no more sparks and the oven is rapidly cooling. Obviously I won't turn the oven back on (even though I still have a ton of cooking to do and I'm hosting Christmas dinner tomorrow! yikes!) but can anyone tell me if I am able to still use the stovetop? I haven't turned it on, afraid I might start a fire or something. I tried searching for the answer to no avail, so I thought I would ask.
Ads By Google