Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fperella  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 11:46:30 AM(UTC)
fperella

Groups: Registered

i am having an issue with the oven, we set temp for 350, it heats to 150. it doesnt seem to be getting to the correct temp. It was working fine and now it doesnt heat up at all. If i set it to 525 it will heat to 475. Its off by 100+ degrees. I am not sure if its the temp sensor or ignitor or just some sort of calibration. I dont wanna guess and just throw parts at it. Anyone know whats causing this?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 12:14:00 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello,

You may want to start the troubleshooting from measuring the current drawn by the oven igniter. If the reading is 3.2 amps or less, the igniter is bad and has to be replaced.

- The oven igniter Part number: WB13K21
Part number: WB13K21

If the igniter is still good, check the oven temperature sensor resistance. The normal reading suppose to be about 1100 Ohms at the room temperature. If the reading is incorrect, replace the oven temperature sensor. The sensor made by GE is pretty expensive. So, if you would like to save some money, you can use the oven sensor made by Whirlpool. They are interchangeable.

- The OEM oven temperature sensor Part number: WB21X5301
Part number: WB21X5301

- The oven temperature sensor made by Whirlpool Part number: 12001656
Part number: 12001656

If there is nothing wrong with the oven igniter and the oven temperature sensor, replace the oven control board. You have to order the new overlay too because it is adhered to the control board.

- The oven control board Part number: WB27K10140
Part number: WB27K10140

- The overlay Part number: WB27K10017
Part number: WB27K10017

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Parts for GE RGB746HED2WH Range - AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
fperella  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 12:54:32 PM(UTC)
fperella

I know how to check the resistance of the temp sensor, but how do you
measure the current drawn by the oven igniter?
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 10:13:21 AM(UTC)
Gene

What kind of meter do you have?

Gene.
fperella  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 10:39:30 AM(UTC)
fperella

I was able to fiddle with it this morning, I checked ignitor, I even swapped ignitor with self cleaner ignitor, it doesn't seem to be the ignitor, I checked temp sensor and I wasn't getting any reading, I removed it and checked it out of oven, it was 1100 1080 ish. I put it back in, oven per heated and seemed to reach 350 degrees for me, I shut it off and set it for 300, it heated to 250, I set it to 400 it heated to 350, I think it is off by 50 degrees.....any way to program brain to compensate for 50 degrees being off, or is there something really wrong with a component in the system? I'm using a very nice fluke meter and I picked up a camp amp meter. I still am not 100% sure the temp sensor is working right because it gave me open circuit reading at first till I took it out of the oven. Another question I have when preheat reaches temp, it beeps, but it's 50 degrees off of what it should be, and the preheat light never goes out. Is it stuck in preheat loop or something or is this just how the oven functions.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:07:16 AM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: fperella Go to Quoted Post
...set it for 300, it heated to 250, I set it to 400 it heated to 350, I think it is off by 50 degrees.....

...any way to program brain to compensate for 50 degrees being off...

...I still am not 100% sure the temp sensor is working right because it gave me open circuit reading at first...

How did you determine the actual temperature inside the oven?

The control board allows temperature adjustments within 35°F range only.

Possible you did something wrong while checking the temperature sensor because it must be F3 or F4 error code shown on the display if the sensor is open or shorted.

Very likely the correction is to replace the oven control board.

Gene.
fperella  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 4:27:22 AM(UTC)
fperella

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
How did you determine the actual temperature inside the oven?

The control board allows temperature adjustments within 35°F range only.

Possible you did something wrong while checking the temperature sensor because it must be F3 or F4 error code shown on the display if the sensor is open or shorted.

Very likely the correction is to replace the oven control board.

Gene.

Gene,

Maybe is was a loose wire or something on sensor, because when i had it out in my hand that is where i had open circuit readings, if i wiggled wires it would then give me 1100 and 1080 readings. Thats when i put it back in and it worked ok for 1 warm up of the oven. I tried a couple times after that and both times after that it was 50 degrees off. We got a really nice oven temp guage and this is what i am comparing the readings in the oven to. You dont think it could be this temp sensor causing this? You are leaning to a new brain?

Danny
Gene  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 1:23:13 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: fperella Go to Quoted Post
...You dont think it could be this temp sensor causing this?...

Hi Danny,

It could be, especially if there was a loose connection in a quick disconnect plug. The sensor itself did pass the test. In such situation I would recommend to eliminate (cut off) all plugs between the sensor and the control board and hardwire it using a high temperature porcelain wire nuts. Then give it a try again.

- The high temperature porcelain wire nuts Part number: AP5641944
Part number: AP5641944

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply