Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
milford2339  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:17:37 AM(UTC)
milford2339

Groups: Registered

My gas oven will light and preheat for about 10 minutes. Then I hear a click sound and the flame goes out. I've tested the thermal sensor with an ohm meter and it was ok. I was told it was probably the motherboard and replaced that but I still have the problem. Problem started when I found (smelt) a dead mouse in the rear of the oven. He had shorted out two terminals but now I'm not possitive which ones. The range works perfectly and has electronic igniters, the oven has a glow igniter that does at least initially work. When it stops working the display still says preheat. Any thoughts?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:53:33 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Please provide the model number of the unit.

Simon.
milford2339  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:16:40 AM(UTC)
milford2339

I will post the model number when I get home around 6pm EST.
milford2339  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:48:21 PM(UTC)
milford2339

The model number of my Fridgidaire gas oven is FGF376CESB
Simon / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:39:27 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

For the test you will need the multimeter.

When the oven display shows preheat what is the max temperature?
At the bake ignitor connection with the oven set to bake check if there is 120VAC between two ignitor wires.
If there is no voltage check the safety gas valve bake side for continuity (turn the power off).
If you have proper voltage at the ignitor and it's not glowing - replace it.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Burner parts for Frigidaire FGF376CESB - AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon.
Next
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:01:43 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

With the oven in Preheat and not actually heating check if there is 120VAC between two bake ignitor wires.
If the voltage there - replace the ignitor.
If not: check continuity of the safety gas valve (bake side of it). If there is no continuity - replace the valve.
If there is continuity, check all wires for possible damage.
What is the oven sensor resistance? The normal is about 1100 ohm at room temperature.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Burner parts for Frigidaire FGF376CESB - AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon.
milford2339  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:37:37 PM(UTC)
milford2339

Originally Posted by: Simon / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Hi.

For the test you will need the multimeter.

When the oven display shows preheat what is the max temperature?
At the bake ignitor connection with the oven set to bake check if there is 120VAC between two ignitor wires.
If there is no voltage check the safety gas valve bake side for continuity (turn the power off).
If you have proper voltage at the ignitor and it's not glowing - replace it.

Simon.
Next

Hi I set the the oven to Preheat to 400 deg and everything works normally, the ignitor glows for a few seconds, i hear the gas come on and it ignites. I timed it this time. After 5 minutes the gass goes off. The buzzer saying it got to 400 does not come on and the display still says "Pre" I canceled the preheat and after about 30 seconds I turned on the Preheat again, this time to 410 deg. After 5 mins of flame on it did the same thing. Doesn't finish Preheat, no buzzer but gas just goes off. THEN I DID WHAT I THINK YOU ASKED ME TO DO, I SKIPPED PREHEAT AND WENT RIGHT TO BAKE. THE IGNITOR DID NOT GLOW AND WHEN I UNPLUGGED IT AND MEASURED THE VOLTAGE SURE ENOUGH IT WAS ONLY ABOUT 3 VAC. i CANCELED AND TURNED ON PREHEAT ANT WHALA 120 VAC. CANCEL AND BACK TO BAKE, 3 VAC.
So it appears the ignitor is ok (works for preheat) but gets no voltage when it goes to Bake. I am going to check the safety gas valve nefor continuity next as soon as I figure out where it is and which side is the bake side. Thanks alot!:)
Simon / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:01:43 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

Check the oven sensor as I suggested (1100 ohm at room temp.)
One wire from bake ignitor is going to the gas valve.
Check it only when oven fails to reignite.

Looks like there is a problem with harness or connectors.
Check the oven sensor at the control board disconnect plug.

Simon.
milford2339  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 6:18:08 PM(UTC)
milford2339

I don't get much time to work on this, sorry. The temp sensor is fine 1060 ohms. I finally found the gas valve and the wire that connects to it from the ignitor. With power off I verified continuity btw the two terminals. I then set the oven to preheat and then same thing happened, after 5 minutes there was a click and the gas turned off. I quickly unplugged the stove and got to the gas valve to check countinuity btw the two terminals. It was wide open, i.e no continuity. After maybe 1-1/2 minutes the continuity came back. So (1) does the gas turn off because voltage is no longer getting to the gas valve and thus not to the ignitor also? Or (2) is something turning off the gas and then contacts open up in the gas valve so the ignitor doesn't keep glowing? I think its probably #1. If so something before the gas valve is turning off the voltage to the ignitor. I can't just keep replacing parts to try to find the problem, I want to know which part is not working and then replace it. Remember I just put a new control unit in this thing. Thanks for your help.
Simon / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 10:42:04 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

Based on the info you provided the safety valve should be replaced Part number: 5303208499
Part number: 5303208499

Your scenario #1 is correct - when the winding inside the valve opens it's shots the gas immediately and cut the power to the ignitor.

You can return any unused parts back to APP even if they been installed.

Simon.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply