Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stickyfingers  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 8:36:45 AM(UTC)
stickyfingers

Groups: Registered

The cooktop has a dual burner and the front left burns red hot no matter what the setting. I assume that the infinite switch must be replaced and I find the following in the parts list:
Part Number:
AP3841140

MFG Part Number:

Can any one give me instructions on doing the replacement? Is there a service manual? I can lift the front of the glass cooktop upwards but can not reach the back edge as it is connected to BX wire cable which is short. The unit sits 1/2 inch from the marble back splash and there is an oven underneath.
I see on the sides the glass top appears to be held on to the base with sheet metal screws. If these must be removed to gain access to the switch, must the entire unit be removed to a work counter?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

stickyfingers  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:47:08 AM(UTC)
stickyfingers

Originally Posted by: stickyfingers Go to Quoted Post
The cooktop has a dual burner and the front left burns red hot no matter what the setting. I assume that the infinite switch must be replaced and I find the following in the parts list:
Part Number:
AP3841140

MFG Part Number:

Can any one give me instructions on doing the replacement? Is there a service manual? I can lift the front of the glass cooktop upwards but can not reach the back edge as it is connected to BX wire cable which is short. The unit sits 1/2 inch from the marble back splash and there is an oven underneath.
I see on the sides the glass top appears to be held on to the base with sheet metal screws. If these must be removed to gain access to the switch, must the entire unit be removed to a work counter?

Bump, Bump??
Simon / APP Team  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2012 10:35:01 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

You need to pull out the cooktop from the counter and remove the screws holding the glass top to the burner box on the sides.
Sometimes the cooktop is attached to the counter from underneath. In that case remove the oven from the cabinet to release the cooktop.

Simon.
Simon.
stickyfingers  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:34:13 AM(UTC)
stickyfingers

Thanks Simon, I can get to the screws on the sides but not the back. The counter top is marble so the cooktop is not attached and I can lift it up far enough to get a roll of paper towles underneath while I take out the screws on the two sides. What I was concerned about was are there additional screws on the back side. (If so, I can not reach and that makes the job a bigger one).. Pulling the oven is more than I can do. (Age 78) phycially.

So if I understand you correctly, There are no screws on the back of the metal housing that need to be removed to release the glass top?
Simon / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:32:50 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Unfortunately the screws are all around the cooktop.

You need to pull the oven out, disconnect the wires from the junction box and then disassemble the cooktop.

Simon.
stickyfingers  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:42:07 PM(UTC)
stickyfingers

Originally Posted by: Simon / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately the screws are all around the cooktop.

You need to pull the oven out, disconnect the wires from the junction box and then disassemble the cooktop.

Simon.

Thanks, that situation is what I was afraid of. I will need some help. I am glad I have a 4 wheel dollie.

Possibly, since the BX cable is stuffed behind the oven, it may be long enough to pull the cooktop forward enough to access the sheet metal screws on the back side. The other 3 sides are easy. I don't want to screw up and break the glass top.:eek:. To do this I need to insert a piece of plywood to bridge marble cutout and provide a rest for the cooktop while out of the hole.
I appreciate your help.
Simon / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:55:11 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

My pleasure.

Simon.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply