Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
khoney  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2012 9:36:52 AM(UTC)
khoney

Groups: Registered

Last night, we turned on our upper convection oven to preheat it on Convection Bake, and minutes later, my wife heard popping sounds and saw sparks from the vent at the lower right corner of the back cover of the oven.

I took the rear cover plate off today, and found charring and fusing of the right side of the circular heating element coil (closest to the rear cover. Pulled the oven out and removed the element, which promptly broke in half where the charring was.

BTW, the convection fan continued to run afterwards, but the upper oven was not heating at all. Don't know if the conventional heating element is automatically disabled in convection mode if the convection heating element fails.

So I know I need to replace the element, but what else would the electrical short have taken out? Are there any replaceable fuses? I'd like to order any required replacement parts at the same time. Any advice would be appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

khoney  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2012 10:26:13 AM(UTC)
khoney

I think I answered my own question after looking at the schematics. It appears that only the rear heating element is active in convection bake mode. I probably should have checked the other bake modes before tearing it apart, but it looks like I'll be OK with just ordering the heating element.

The interesting thing about this is that the oven is 8 years old, and we NEVER used convection mode until recently. First, the fan went out, and now the heating element. I guess things are more likely to fail if they haven't been used in a long time.
LoveSnow  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:16:06 AM(UTC)
LoveSnow

We did use our convection oven about a dozen times a year, so I don't think non-use contributed. Our double oven is 9 years old. My husband knew it was the convection. Thanks to your post, we know that the oven is salvageable and what to replace.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply