Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
drewmorton  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2012 5:33:44 PM(UTC)
drewmorton

Groups: Registered

Oven manufactured in 2006, however my wife bought it at a garage sale, in the box never installed. Apparently, it was part of a kitchen remodel that changed or never happened. Anyway, I built the kitchen cabinets per the specifications in the owners manual. Used the oven several times with no problems. Then one day wife is baking, and we begin to smell a burning smell. Not sure what is was, so I took off the bottom grate so I could look at the bottom of the cabinet and the oven with a flashlight. Turns out my cabinet has a nice burn spot right around dead center, and you can see where it looks like the oven was getting very hot (obviously.) My question is this: is this a flaw in the oven, or is there some kind of part (a blower, maybe), that is not functioning, allowing the excessive heat build up. Due to where my wife bought this, we have no warranty, and Im not sure Frigidaire would cover any repair. Although, they might have had a nice lawsuit on thier hands should my house have burned down...
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2012 4:48:57 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Drew,

You said that you did build the oven cabinet yourself. In such case did you know that some cabinet and building materials are not designed to withstand the heat produced by the oven for baking and self-cleaning?

You also may want to verify if the oven cabinet opening made in accordance with the installation instructions.

Gene.
drewmorton  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:02:15 PM(UTC)
drewmorton

I used 3/4 inch prefinished cabinet grade maple plywood for the cabinet carcasses. Rather expensive stuff, not the big box store wood. I actually never figured that some woods were not suitable for cabinets, however i just can't imagine that this wood is not suitable. Of course, I could be wrong, but i would have thought that the clearance specified in the oven owners manual (I built the cabinets per the specs in the owners manual) would be sufficient. There is only about an inch, maybe inch and a half, between the bottom of the oven and the plywood. I suppose I could line the plywood with a thick aluminum plate or something, but if thats not really the problem, I would always worry that the house is about to burn down whenever I use the oven. I suppose calling an appliance repairman is in order. I have not seen enough built in ovens to know what is right or wrong. I just used the specs in the manual, and built the cabinets based on that.

Thanks
Drew
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:18:28 PM(UTC)
Gene

Drew,

I don't know much about carpentry. I also never did installations myself. The only what I've learned is that everything must be done by the codes, especially if we are talking about possible fire hazard.

Check out the installation instructions I posted earlier. It seems to me that 1" or even 11/2" between the bottom of the oven and the plywood is not enough.

Gene.
drewmorton  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:30:05 PM(UTC)
drewmorton

Thank you Gene. I dont see anything in the installation instructions that says anything about clearance between the oven and the cabinets, other than a minimum and maximum cutout dimentions and cabinet widths, etc. Anyway, thank you again for your advice and help. Ill give a call to our local appliance guy and see if he can come take a look at it.

Regards,
Drew
Gene  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:18:06 PM(UTC)
Gene

I believe on the drawings at the first page it says something about 21/2" or 3".

Gene.
drewmorton  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 5:59:05 PM(UTC)
drewmorton

I see 3" between the bottom of the cutout and the top of the electrical box. The rails of the face frame have to be a minimum of 2". Looking at the drawing, it looks to me like the dotted line represents the box within which the oven will fit, and it looks basically flush with the rails of the face frame. There are runners on the bottom of the oven that, to me, would act as spacers. But again, Im not a professional installer, so thats just a guess. I have a guy coming to take a look on monday, so ill check back in and report what he finds.

Thanks
drewmorton  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:39:08 AM(UTC)
drewmorton

The repairman was here. He said the cabinet dimentions are fine. There are runners on the bottom of the oven that act as spacers, so thats basically set at the factory. He could not find anything necessarily wrong with the oven. He turned on the oven and used a laser heat meter to check the bottom of the oven. He said the allowed heat amount is somewhere around 180 degrees, and with the oven set at 350, the oven was giving off somewhere around the 180. The cooling fan is working, although he is not sure if it is a 2 speen fan, as this one only ran at one speed. I will be pulling the oven later this week, and he told me to see if I can take off the bottom panel and check to see if the insulation is properly installed. He said it would not be unheard of that they missed some insulation at the factory. Other than that, it looks like I am out of luck as far as this oven goes. As I stated before, my wife bought this oven at a garage sale, and the manufacture date is 2006. He said the manufacturers warranty is one year from the date of manufacture.
Gene  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2012 12:48:31 PM(UTC)
Gene

I don't know what to say. This is beyond my expertise.

Gene.
debrajohnson  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 4:40:45 AM(UTC)
debrajohnson

Hi,
Can you please upload the picture of oven cabinet, since I am also planning to install it with Maple Kitchen Cabinets. I just wanted to see some design and take overall ideas about the same.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply