Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ISLAND  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:19:46 PM(UTC)
ISLAND

Groups: Registered

I have read all previous post about the Viking ignitor problem.
I have a 6 burner viking range.
BUt I'm stuck. About 2 weeks ago my right four burners did not spark anymore, after reading I ordered a new ignitor module. I installed it, and turn on the one burner at a time, it lights but spark continues until all four are on. I clean all ignitors, checked connections, etc. Still same problem. I got desperate and swap Line & Neutral, and back again. Well after that, I was able to get the two pairs of diagonal burners to work without sparking.
I'm stuck, should I call now for repair service or check the ignitor switches?

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

bruced  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:29:47 PM(UTC)
bruced

Groups: Registered

I hit the same problem after a new ignitor was installed. The burners would light but the ignitors would keep sparking. The one clue was that if all the burners were lit then the sparking would stop.

The problem was that the burners were miswired to the ignitor. The electrical connections from the ignitor to the control knobs are labeled 1 to 4. The electrical connections from the ignitor to the burners are labeled 1 to 4. If these don't match then things don't work. That is, if the knob that controls the front-left burner is attached to terminal one, then the front-left burner had better be attached to terminal one.

The reason is simple. When you turn on the gas the ignitor sends sparks to all four burners, for safety reasons. But it also monitors to see if the *specified* burner is lit. Once it detects heat, it stops sparking. If it's monitoring the wrong burner then it won't detect heat. It was an easy fix once we figured this out.

After this we still had one burner that when lit wouldn't stop the sparking. That's because its wire was loose, so that's another possible cause. It's odd that it's wire had a good enough connection to drive the spark, but not a good enough connection to detect ignition.
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 2, 2022 3:57:59 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
We have a Viking Professional Stove Top and 2 of the 6 burners continue to click after lit. Also, the clicking burners send a spark to a few other burners at the same time and so while the bad clicking burner is clicking there are also 2 other burners clicking and the ignitors sparking at the same time. We have checked and cleaned everything, including the connectors/wiring underneath. Help. Should we just replace all of the ignition models with new ones? This started a few years after we purchased the stovetop at least 10 years ago. So we think it's a 2010 model.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply