Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mlab  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 28, 2012 5:00:19 PM(UTC)
mlab

Groups: Registered

Following a smoke and spark event, my daughter complained the oven wouldn't heat. I could see the bake element was broken. I was about to order a new one, but thought I would pull out the old one first. When I pulled it out, it shorted with a pop and flash. I went down and opened the circuit breaker, then removed the element, and taped the terminals. When I switched the power back on, nothing on the stove worked. It is a Maytag CRE9600CCE. What can it be? A fuse or limit switch or ??? What does it take to fix it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks == Mike
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 12:55:26 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts, includes a wiring diagram.
Replacement parts for Maytag CRE9600CCE RANGE- S/C F/S ELE | AppliancePartsPros.com

Since the stove top and oven elements are controlled separately and neither work it sounds like a power problem.
Try flipping the breaker off/on slowly a couple times, sometimes you can loose half the line without actually tripping the breaker.
If this does nothing, check the voltage at the plug
L1 to L2 should be 240 volts
L1 to Neutral and L2 to Neutral, both should be 120 volts.
If OK
Unplug the unit and check the wires at the terminal strip in the machine to make sure none are loose or burned out
If OK
Check the power at the terminal strip.
[COLOR="Red"]Be careful as 240 volts is lethal !!! [/COLOR]

A little late, but never pull an element with power to the unit.
On most stoves one side of the element is always connected to 120 volts.

Often this type of spark also blows the control board so I will keep my fingers crossed.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
mlab  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 6:07:21 AM(UTC)
mlab

Groups: Registered

I checked the voltage where the pigtail attaches at the stove, and it was 240. Again opened the circuit breaker while I screwed the plate back in place. When I reset the breaker, the clock stove top and broiler all came back. I figure there must have been a loose connection somewhere that moving the range around jostled enough to make the contact. Right now I'm a happy camper, and I'm ordering a new bake element. If it goes out again, I'll double check for loose connections. Many thanks for the advice. Best regards === Mike
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 9:00:05 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I would find the loose connection now.

A bad connection acts as a resistance, as current passes through it heat is generated this further degrades the connection and so on and so on till it fails.
[COLOR="Red"]In other words it is a fire hazard.[/COLOR]
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply