Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
grapedog  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:30:33 PM(UTC)
grapedog

Groups: Registered

Regarding the 12 year old Thermador GGSCV365 cooktop in my house, I have been having issues with the cooktop lately and am thinking about a rebuild to get more life out of it. As a result, I am also trying to understand how the ignitor/flame sensor work. Hopefully I can learn something new on this forum.

Current status of the 5 burner cooktop:
- When the control knob is turned to high on 2 of the burners, there is no spark until about 7 seconds after gas flow. I assume this is the "flame out" detection generating the spark.
- One burner sparks/lights immediately after the knob is turned on. We don't use this burner very much
- One burner sparks with an irregular cadence and never lights
- One burner sparks but doesn't light (gas is detected)

I took apart one of the first 2 burners mentioned above. Igniter was not cracked, but was really dirty. I cleaned the igniter and the wire to the igniter. The igniter clip is rusted and the rubber washer under the igniter was gone. I buffed up the underside of the burner cap. Reassembled the burner but the failure mode continues.

Question #1: Using this single-wire igniter path, the spark module somehow knows that there is no flame (when the gas valve is enabled). How does it detect flame? Somewhere in the cooktop, some logic is being used to detect that there is gas but no flame, but it's confusing "burner just turned on" vs. "burner was on and lost the flame".

Question #2: Since we plan to keep the cooktop for a few more years, if I was going to do a refurb on the cooktop, what pieces should I replace to make the cooktop seem 'as new'? I'm thinking: Igniters, igniter clips and rubber washers. Is that enough? Is the spark module failing or just not getting proper signals from the igniters?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.