Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bna1gah  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 5:51:55 AM(UTC)
bna1gah

Groups: Registered

The large burner is a two element burner that has stopped working. I replaced the element but hat didnt fix the issue. Apparently I have a problem in the large/small burner switch or the rotating heat knob. Any ideas on how to test this circuit or find the root problem.

Thank you.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Frank / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 8:35:11 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Originally Posted by: bna1gah Go to Quoted Post
The large burner is a two element burner that has stopped working. I replaced the element but hat didnt fix the issue. Apparently I have a problem in the large/small burner switch or the rotating heat knob. Any ideas on how to test this circuit or find the root problem.

Thank you.

You can check the switch if you have a volt meter. Remove power to unit and then gain access to the back side of the switch. Once you have it safely accessed, turn the switch on and go across H1 and H2 on the switch, you should read 240V. If you don't, make sure you have it across L1 and L2. If you have it there the switch is bad.

If you do have it across H1 and H2 then you've got a wire problem between the switch and the burner. Below is a pic of the switch.

Part number: AP2023620
bna1gah  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 10:20:51 AM(UTC)
bna1gah

This burner has the ability to be the full 9" or a smaller 6" burner. To change between the burner size is a second switch that looks to be a single pull.

How do you test this switch to see if it is good?
Frank / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 10:50:42 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Originally Posted by: bna1gah Go to Quoted Post
This burner has the ability to be the full 9" or a smaller 6" burner. To change between the burner size is a second switch that looks to be a single pull.

How do you test this switch to see if it is good?

Can't get my hands on a wiring diagram for that model. How many terminals are on the switch? I see it in the parts breakdown but I can't tell what's happening inside of it.

What were the results for the previous test I mentioned?
bna1gah  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 12:23:24 PM(UTC)
bna1gah

I just got home and started testing the single pole single throw switch that changes the burner from a 6" to a 9". The switch has continuity when it is on the 9" setting. It seems to be working fine.

I than pulled the wires off the main burner switch so I could read the markings and reinstalled the wires. I plugged in stove to 240 V and conducted a voltage test on the H1 and H2 lines and I had 244V. I also noticed the burner turned on!

So as right now it working - but how and why? The only difference is I removed a few wires and placed them back on. All connections seemed solid so I am perplexed.

Any suggestions?

:confused:
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply