Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Meomaxy  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2008 10:30:33 PM(UTC)
Meomaxy

Groups: Registered

GE Profile Spectra XL44

The problem started when my wife ran the cleaning cycle on the oven and left some empty pots on the back burners. I think the pots trapped the head back there and damaged the keypad. You could see that the window to the clock was a little warped, and the display started beeping and showing the F7 error code.

I could hit the clear button to get it to stop, but about a minute later it would start beeping F7 again.

I read up on Lynn's similar problem over here:
http://forum.appliancepartspros...-cooktops/2216-lynn.html

I turned off the power for an hour and it was the same way. I looked up here what I should do, and I saw that is probably the keypad or the controller. I unplugged the ribbon cable from the keypad to the controller, and the F7 stopped. This supposedly means that it's the keypad.

I ordered a replacement keypad AP2035212 (WB57K10027) and a replacement controller AP2025074 (WB27K10007) just in case.

I installed the new keypad with the existing controller and now I don't get the F7 error, but the digits on the keypad don't work. Start, Clear, Bake, etc. all work, but the numbers are dead. This is progress (at least I can now bake, if only at 350 degrees), but I'm wondering what to try next.

I'm thinking it's one of these:
[LIST=1]
  • The controller needs to be replaced too.
  • I somehow didn't connect the ribbon cable correctly, and either I broke it or some part of it is not making a good connection.
  • The replacement keypad is bad or slightly incompatible somehow.[/LIST]The replacement keypad with crystal assembly is, curiously, different from the original in that it is a black glass finish whereas the original is brushed stainless steel finish. The keypad part itself looks identical. Maybe something else is different?

Suggestions?
  • Sponsor
    See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Meomaxy  
    #2 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2008 10:38:58 PM(UTC)
    Meomaxy

Oh. Oops.

Never mind.

Apparently, if you don't cycle the power after connecting up the new keypad ribbon cable, the number keys don't work.

Problem solved.
    mpicc  
    #3 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 10:07:19 AM(UTC)
    mpicc

Just found your thread - have GE Profile Oven with same problem. Just ordered and installed keypad, but having same issue with number keys, bake at 350, etc.. Total novice - but what does cycle the power mean? I did flip off/on the breaker after reading your post, but it didn't change the issue. Everything else seems to be working fine. Had previously replaced control panel and thermal switch - 9 year old oven isn't happy!
    Meomaxy  
    #4 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 4:16:56 AM(UTC)
    Meomaxy

What I meant by "cycle the power" is that I unplugged the oven from the electrical outlet and then plugged it back in. Apparently when I connected the new keypad while the power was on, the controller didn't recognize all of the buttons right away. The keypad has to be connected when the whole thing is powering up to respond correctly.

(Speculation: Could be that the controller is designed to work with more than one kind of keypad, like if there are two models of oven, one with digits to set the temperature and one with up an down arrows. The controller might do a little detection algorithm at startup to figure out which kind of keypad is connected so that it knows what keys to respond to and how to respond to those key presses. If the controller interprets a completely missing keypad as it were detecting the the simple up/down arrow keypad, then it would know to respond to the "Bake" and "Start" buttons, but wouldn't respond to the digit buttons. It might have been able to respond to up/down arrow key presses, but since my keypad doesn't have those buttons, there was no way for me to send that signal to the controller.)
    denman  
    #5 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 5:16:11 AM(UTC)
    denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
    It is always a good idea to unplug or cut the power to any unit when disconnecting or reconnecting parts.

Failure to do this can cause voltage spikes and blow other parts.
    This is especially true with appliances where in most cases the power supplies do not have adequate spike protection.

Note that some units take 10 minutes or so for the control board to reset to factory defaults.
    THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
    juamalik  
    #6 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2009 4:28:41 PM(UTC)
    juamalik

Originally Posted by: Meomaxy Go to Quoted Post
    GE Profile Spectra XL44

The problem started when my wife ran the cleaning cycle on the oven and left some empty pots on the back burners. I think the pots trapped the head back there and damaged the keypad. You could see that the window to the clock was a little warped, and the display started beeping and showing the F7 error code.

I could hit the clear button to get it to stop, but about a minute later it would start beeping F7 again.

I read up on Lynn's similar problem over here:
    http://forum.appliancepartspros...-cooktops/2216-lynn.html

I turned off the power for an hour and it was the same way. I looked up here what I should do, and I saw that is probably the keypad or the controller. I unplugged the ribbon cable from the keypad to the controller, and the F7 stopped. This supposedly means that it's the keypad.

I ordered a replacement keypad AP2035212 (WB57K10027) and a replacement controller AP2025074 (WB27K10007) just in case.

I installed the new keypad with the existing controller and now I don't get the F7 error, but the digits on the keypad don't work. Start, Clear, Bake, etc. all work, but the numbers are dead. This is progress (at least I can now bake, if only at 350 degrees), but I'm wondering what to try next.

I'm thinking it's one of these:
    [LIST=1]
  • The controller needs to be replaced too.
  • I somehow didn't connect the ribbon cable correctly, and either I broke it or some part of it is not making a good connection.
  • The replacement keypad is bad or slightly incompatible somehow.[/LIST]The replacement keypad with crystal assembly is, curiously, different from the original in that it is a black glass finish whereas the original is brushed stainless steel finish. The keypad part itself looks identical. Maybe something else is different?

Suggestions?

• Instead of getting the F7 error code, the keypad has started to not work. Lately the numbers 5 & 6 do not work, and at times numbers 7 & 0 stop working on the keypad as well. I am thinking about ordering the Control panel assembly - which includes touchpad. Part Number: AP2625694
    But also wondering if I need to also order the Control (no overlay) -
    Part Number: AP2025074 to correct the problem.
    Any suggestions or help to solving this issue would be greatly appreciated.
    vanbao  
    #7 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:36:16 PM(UTC)
    vanbao

I have a Ge JGBP90MEB3BC and all but the clear button are not working. There is no F7 code. The keys just don't respond.

I did some research and read that I should put a piece of paper in the slot where the ribbons are connect to the key pad. That did not work.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem and how to fix it. Since there is no F7 code, I am assuming it is not a stuck key problem.

Please help.

Thanks.
    Gene  
    #8 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:21:26 PM(UTC)
    Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
    Originally Posted by: vanbao Go to Quoted Post
    I have a Ge JGBP90MEB3BC and all but the clear button are not working. There is no F7 code. The keys just don't respond.

I did some research and read that I should put a piece of paper in the slot where the ribbons are connect to the key pad. That did not work.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem and how to fix it. Since there is no F7 code, I am assuming it is not a stuck key problem.

Please help.

Thanks.

Open the control panel and remove the control panel ribbon cable from the control board slot. Clean the edge connector using a pencil eraser. Inspect the tracks in the ribbon cable for a hairline cracks using a magnifying glass. Clean the connector on the control board using an isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush. Let it completely dry, reconnect everything and give it a try.

If it would not help, then the problem most likely is a bad control panel. There is a small chance for the control board to be bad as well.

- The control panel Part number: AP2625694
    vanbao  
    #9 Posted : Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:38:21 PM(UTC)
    vanbao

I ordered the part you suggested, installed, and everything is working fine now. Many thanks.
    Quick Reply Show Quick Reply