Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CELESTE RC  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2008 3:49:39 PM(UTC)
CELESTE RC

Groups: Registered

Whirlpool Gold Ceran cooktop burner will not turn off. We have to turn off at the breaker box when not in use.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

mjb5167  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2008 6:39:46 AM(UTC)
mjb5167

Being a new user of glass cooktops I too had to use the breaker box, until my husband figured out that the light stays on until the burner has cooled off--as a warning not to place anything on it--could this be the solution? Yeah i freaked out and turned the electricity off the first time i used the stove(we moved and I didn't have experience with this type-always had the coil type)..I may be over simplifying the prob but just thought I'd drop you a note!
CELESTE RC  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2008 2:51:39 PM(UTC)
CELESTE RC

You didn't understand. I have finished cooking and an hour later the large burner (not the little light on the cooktop) has come on by its self and will not turn off, even when the knob is in the off position. I though this site was for homeowners to air their appliance problems and receive suggestions on repairs and parts needed.
ripleys  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2008 5:47:37 PM(UTC)
ripleys

Groups: Senior Expert

Originally Posted by: CELESTE RC Go to Quoted Post
You didn't understand. I have finished cooking and an hour later the large burner (not the little light on the cooktop) has come on by its self and will not turn off, even when the knob is in the off position. I though this site was for homeowners to air their appliance problems and receive suggestions on repairs and parts needed.

That's what this site is for.....Homeowners to ask nicely and politely and give us "VOLUNTEERS" as much information as to what their problem is. Sometimes other homeowners (just like you) like to offer some advice and it's your choice wheather or not to take it. The advice we give as service technicians is "FREE" and may or may not be 100% accurate but we try to help everyone as much as possible and all we ask for is a thank you, afterall we are trying to save you some money.
As for your glass top problem, is the element controlled by a knob that you turn and if so, I would suspect a shorted or closed circuit in the switch itself and therefore needs to be replaced.
If the element is controlled by touching the glass it is a little more involved and could result in electronic parts that controls that element needing replacement and at that time I would be calling a qualified service technician to diagnose the problem properly.
Thank you and good luck!!
Admin / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:20:42 AM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Ripleys, very accurate and professional answer on both points. Nothing more to add really. Lets hope that Celeste appreciates your time and effort.
mjb5167  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:00:33 PM(UTC)
mjb5167

I appologize Celeste RC if I said something offensive, I guess i misunderstood. I am just a homeowner also and just adding my two cents. I really appreciate the forum and it's wonderful that there are people here voluneering their time and expertise to help out us less mechanically inclined folks..Sorry if i mispoke.... just trying to help:confused:
kbrillon  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2008 12:07:23 PM(UTC)
kbrillon

Hi,
I am a homeowner, and I too have the same problem. The main burner which is considered a dual burner won't turn off. It will basically glow hot and then dim. The only way to turn off is by shutting off the breaker to that cooktop. My model is GJC3634 Whirlpool.

My question is which switch needs to be replaced? There are two listed in the parts section for this device - the limiter switch or the infinite switch. It is located on LF.

Thanks to all for your help and support!

God bless to all,
KBrillon
Gene  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2008 12:48:44 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi KBrillon,

Most likely the problem with your stove caused by the shorted infinite switch.

In order to provide the right part number I need the rest of the model number (two more letters and one digit).

Gene.
kbrillon  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2008 12:52:48 PM(UTC)
kbrillon

Hi Gene,

Thanks so much for your quick response. The full model number is GJC3634GB0.

I really appreciate your help!

Best regards,
KBrillon
Gene  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:29:26 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi KBrillon,

The part number for the infinite switch for the LF is AP3672660

Do not forget to turn off the power.

Here is the break down diagram for the Whirlpool stove Model GJC3634GB0

Good luck.
Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply