Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jrepac  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 3, 2009 7:36:03 AM(UTC)
jrepac

Groups: Registered

Both doors on my kitchenaid KEBS208DWH1 have broken inner glass. My oldest kid is home frm from college and broke both of them baking. I am having trouble removing the doors to replace the glass. Are there any instruction out there for removing the doors? I am not having much luck finding the instructions for these doors.

Thanks,
-Joe
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jrepac  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2009 6:37:58 AM(UTC)
jrepac

Figured it out myself. There are holes in each hinge for removal pins. I substituted large nails for the pins. Insert a nail in each hinge when the door is open and the door will easily come out when it is almost closed.

I used framing nails that are a little larger than 1/8" in diameter and taped them in place with masking tape. I ground the points off the nails to provide extra margin on both sides of the hinge.
rsher18@yahoo.com  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 6, 2010 8:09:13 AM(UTC)
rsher18@yahoo.com

removing the door is pretty easy..
there is a lever near the hinge, that gets placed towards you ..
then the door should lift up and out..

as far as the glass... there is a bracket at the bottom and two screws at teh top corners.. they come out and then you can get to the glass ..

now, getting the door back in i can't help you with...
vanphill  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:43:48 AM(UTC)
vanphill

The price of new hinges was about 35% of having the appliance store replace the hinges. We have two "wall ovens" - one a Whirlpool and the other a Kitchen-Aid - and strangely enough both use the same hinges. The oven door hinges are the weakest part of the ovens and we have had to have them replaced before. After paying over a $175 each for the repairs I was shocked to see how quickly they failed. Within 8 months one had to be propped closed with a broom handle and the other with a stool just to keep the doors closed so my wife could use the ovens .. and keep the oven light from staying on all the time.
My wife was ready to call the service people again when I said let me see if I can replace the hinges. I looked at the YouTube videos on oven door hinge replacement and it looked easy enough. I found the replacement hinges so I decided to start with one oven to see if I could do the replacement. It took almost three hours to get the oven door off and the hinges changed. Why? Every demo video on YouTube showed opening the door all the way and flipping over a lock that stopped the door closing at that almost closed point. This allows you lift up on the oven door releasing the hinge arm from the catch so you could slide the oven door away from the body of the oven. Guess what! "These hinges didn’t have that little flip over lock!"
I finally managed to get the door off using a screw driver to help me disengage one of the hinges from the oven itself. The rest of the hinge replacement went exactly like the demo videos described. Now I had to get the door back on the oven.
I held the door as shown on the videos and it slipped right in, but when I tried to close the door the whole thing was too high and bound. Messing with it I finally heard something drop out and onto the floor. I picked up this little apx. 1/8th inch diameters by ¼ inch long pin with a flared crimp on one end. I looked carefully at both hinges with a flashlight and saw that there was a pin like that on one side and not on the other. I slipped the second pin out of the remaining side and suddenly the door closed perfectly. It was then that I realized that the pins acted like the flip over lock! The problem was the new hinges had the pin and the old one did not, and you should not remove the pin from the new ones before you put the door back as it holds the hinge in a tension needed need to fit the door back on (and that tension is strong).
So there is a trick. You will need something to function as those pins, like a 16p finish nail, when you remove the oven door.
I immediately ordered hinges for the second oven .. saving the pins from the first hinge replacement. The second set of hinges arrived two days later and I opened the second oven door and put in the two saved pins – the door lifted off perfectly and 15 minutes later it was back on with new hinges. By the way, I saved the now four little pins in a zip-lock bag and put them with our file of appliance manuals. If I have to replace the hinges again I will have the pins I will need for removing the door.
One other thing I learned was why I believe the original hinges worked for several years while the ones installed by the service guy failed in months! On each of the ovens the service guy had replaced only one of the hinges. You could see the grime on the 4 or 5 year old ones that wasn’t there on the months old ones. I wish I could show you the pictures I took of both hinges (which this site won’t let me add), but the two hinges placed side by side had slightly different length and shaped locking arms (that part that slides into the body of the oven). On that first door I struggled with I couldn’t understand why one side just slid out while the other I had to force out. Looking back it was the old hinge that slid out and I don’t believe it was ever engaged as the locking arm was slightly shorter and a different shape. That would mean one hinge was trying to do the work of two. I replaced both on the two ovens, and I’ll bet my fix will serve for years and not months.
Heck, the hinges are only about $35, so why not do both sides and make the new ones match and work together as a set?
Wireless123  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 8, 2018 7:45:20 PM(UTC)
Wireless123

United States

New related problem.

19 year old electric oven door innermost glass broken and needs to replaced. Having a problem removing the door to repair. Have read posts and watched all available videos. But my door hinges do not resemble any discussed hinges. My hinges do NOT have a latch to flip back. They have a pin connector in the hinge as part of the installed hinge mechanism (opposed to the hinges requiring a pin to be inserted to enable that type of door hinge to be locked to remove the door).

How do I remove door with this type of hinge ?

This Kitchenaid was a Whirlpool OEM WP4449259.
Wireless123  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 8, 2018 7:50:12 PM(UTC)
Wireless123

United States

Forgot to include model number.
Kitchenaid KEBS207D. The previously listed WP item was for inner glass part.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply