Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rmgordon77  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 12:51:10 PM(UTC)
rmgordon77

Groups: Registered

We ran self-clean cycle 2 nights ago and it did it properly but hasn't heated up since. No error codes. Seems to act like its working (fan and timer and clock work) but both elements remain cold whether Bake, Broil or Self-clean. I tried throwing the circuit breaker for 10 minutes to see if it would reset but that didn't work. What could it be? Also trying to find a repair manual.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:22:28 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Most likely the problem is open thermal overload located at the back of the oven. Fixing this problem require pulling the oven from the wall. Two parts has to be replaced.

The thermal overload Part number: AP3885687
Part number: AP3885687

The cooling blower Part number: AP3079434
rmgordon77  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:24:58 AM(UTC)
rmgordon77

Thank you for your reply regarding Thermal Overlaod. Another question: this may or may not be related but it has always been an issue that for some reason the oven doesn't work when its very cold out side. Seems pretty odd. But then when outside temp starts getting warmer the oven will start working again. Any ideas? P.S. As you might guess, the oven is built-in to an outside wall.
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 2, 2012 12:30:37 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

The problem you describe is not related to a blown thermal fuse. While you will have the oven out, check the junction box for a good wire connection. Good luck.
rmgordon77  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2012 2:30:19 PM(UTC)
rmgordon77

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! Oven is back in the wall and working now. [I suppose the real test will be next time we run the self-clean cycle] Anyway, thanks for everything-- couldn't have done it without you. :)

Originally Posted by: AquraRoma Go to Quoted Post
Most likely the problem is open thermal overload located at the back of the oven. Fixing this problem require pulling the oven from the wall. Two parts has to be replaced.

The thermal overload Part number: AP3885687
Part number: AP3885687

The cooling blower Part number: AP3079434
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2012 3:50:27 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

My pleasure.
Lohrey  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:36:24 PM(UTC)
Lohrey

I have a Whirlpool RBS305 built in oven. After running the self cleaning cycle it won't heat up. I'm looking for a design diagram and solution to fix it.
rmgordon77  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:35:31 PM(UTC)
rmgordon77

First of all, did you try resetting it to see if that works? Just flip off the circuit breaker that supplies electricity to your oven-- leave it off for 10 minutes and flip it back on. That might reset it. In my case, resetting it didn't work but it's worth a try.

I received this advice on this forum and replaced the parts he suggested. "Most likely the problem is open thermal overload located on the back of the oven. Fixing this problem require pulling the oven from the wall. Two parts have to be replaced. The thermal overload fuse and the cooling blower." I ordered the parts from AppliancePartsPros.com and paid the cheapest shipping and it still arrived in a day and a half. I did the job and the oven now works well... although I suppose the true test will be next time we run the self-clean cycle. The job wasn't that bad. I'd never worked on an oven before and was a little skeptical but it all went well. Probably have to be somewhat mechanically inclined but don't have to be an expert or anything. By the way, be sure to flip the circuit breaker for your oven before you pull it from the wall.

Nozz  
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 12:59:22 PM(UTC)
Nozz

I found the thermal fuse (aka thermal overload) on the back of the oven. The part is similar but slightly different. Seems it would work though. Here's my question: why did you replace BOTH the blower and thermal fuse? My blower seems to work perfectly fine. Can't tell about the fuse. Yet. Seems to be a $45 part though that can't be too bad.

Can I just replace the thermal fuse?
rmgordon77  
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 1:57:20 PM(UTC)
rmgordon77

Originally Posted by: Nozz Go to Quoted Post
I found the thermal fuse (aka thermal overload) on the back of the oven. The part is similar but slightly different. Seems it would work though. Here's my question: why did you replace BOTH the blower and thermal fuse? My blower seems to work perfectly fine. Can't tell about the fuse. Yet. Seems to be a $45 part though that can't be too bad.

Can I just replace the thermal fuse?

I replaced the blower just to play it safe. Mine also seemed to work fine but when I ordered a new one they make them more powerful now-- so I figured that sounded like a good idea. After all-- there must have been a reason that thermal fuse blew. I concluded that the manufacturer maybe had realized that it needed a more powerful blower. Wouldn't want to do this again so I figured better safe that sorry for the extra dollars. Good luck.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply