Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TomG  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:20:03 PM(UTC)
TomG

Groups: Registered

Our interior glass shattered during the self-clean cycle used for the first time. Ge wanted $80 just to come out not including the part & labor. Then today they don't show up. So I'm thinking it can't be that hard.

GE says the part # is WB56K0020
Model # is JGBP85SEJ1SS

Before I try to order the part (not from GE ;) I want to see if I can take the door apart myself. So I took the door off the hinge and placed it on the counter with the handle hanging over as has been suggested several times here. There are 4 screws on the bottom. I removed all 4 and I can sort of pry the outer & inner panels apart just slightly, but it looks like the panels are being held by the door handle. Assuming this is the right way to take apart the door to get to the glass, what kind of screw driver do I need to remove the door handle? It sure isn't a phillips ;)

Thanks

Tom
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2008 6:19:56 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Tom,

Usually all screws are Phillips or Torx. If you can post some pictures, it might help.

According to the door break down diagram I do not think you have to remove the door handle.

- The APP part number for the inner door glass is AP2033716

Gene.
TomG  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2008 7:14:30 AM(UTC)
TomG

Thanks, upon closer inspection of the door handle, you are correct, I can see the bolt that connects the handle to the outer panel. So the handle can stay on. The two screws on the inside panel must the torx heads, they have a star-like shape. I'll have to visit the hardware store and pick up a set of torx drill bits.

I assume I won't need to replace anything else?
Gene  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2008 10:21:53 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I do not think you would.

Good luck.
Gene.
Ikekey  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2008 1:19:09 PM(UTC)
Ikekey

I just got the package from GE. Should I do it myself or get professional help? I can't get a quote, just an offer of $89 to come to my house.

Is there any need for something more than just unscrewed, replace, screwed back? I mean is there something special to seal this or...? I am not a handy man.

Also, the pack ($140) came with two pieces of glass. I only have one broken. Any one else just needs one?

Thanks,
Ike
TomG  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:30:40 PM(UTC)
TomG

I bought the part from Appliance Parts Pro, with shipping it was around $110 (may be different now of course). Don't give GE any more of your money. It's not hard, just remember glass is sharp!

I bought a cheap 7 in 1 torx wrench from Sears. I am not very handy around the house, but I was able to do the whole thing in under an hour & a half. Torx wrench has been used for other purposes (my bike) so it wasn't wasted.

Personally I would replace both pieces just in case. That's what I did.

Since I replaced the glass, I haven't tried the self clean again. Afraid I'll have to replace the glass again, although I suspect that the original glass was defective.
Ikekey  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2008 3:44:00 PM(UTC)
Ikekey

Thanks.

One other idea I had - do you think it needs a special glass or just a regular one. Something that I can just order from the glass store?

I happen to have a store 5 minutes away and they have cut some custom glass for me before

According to my wife, she doesn't use self-cleaning feature anyway - go figure...

Thanks,
Ike
TomG  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2008 7:10:02 AM(UTC)
TomG

I'm going to guess special glass, but that's just a guess.
LyleGrover  
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2010 9:29:15 AM(UTC)
LyleGrover

It appears to be tempered. Glass is tempered by a controlled heating and cooling. Tempered glass is harder to break and is far more heat resistant. When you manage to break it, it shatters into tiny harmless little bits. It can "lose it's temper" by long/repeated exposure to heat - then it breaks like ordinary glass.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply