Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
theob  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2009 7:57:01 AM(UTC)
theob

Groups: Registered

The ice maker was working on and off for a while and the cubes were sometimes hollow. The tube frioze a few times and once I cleared it the unit would work again, on and off. The line is clear now and the unit is not working at all. Any idea what could be the cause? The unit has a filtered water system that (I assume) feeds the ice maker. The filter probably needs to be replaced, but it works ok as of now. Any help is apprreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

woodchuckie  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2009 9:41:58 AM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

The water inlet valve on the back of the unit where the water supply comes in can have a slow leak and will cause ice to buildup and block the fill tube. Disconnect the ice maker line from the valve and watch to see if it has a slow drip. It doesn’t take much to eventually block the fill tube.
The valve can leak because of sediment in the water preventing it from closing or low water pressure.

Try swapping the wires on the dual water inlet valve. Then try the water dispenser. The water should go to the ice maker. This will tell you weather or not the ice maker valve is working and if the line is clear.
theob  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2009 10:38:31 AM(UTC)
theob

thanks for the response. when you say inlet do you mean into the main refridgerator, or to the back of the ice maker. if ice maker, how do I access that? do i take the ice maker out or can iI get to it from the back. when I disconnect from the line, if its not blocked will it flow freely, or should it normally drip. sorry to be such a novice. I'm not as incapable as I sound, just not sure of what to expect. thanks

Originally Posted by: woodchuckie Go to Quoted Post
The water inlet valve on the back of the unit where the water supply comes in can have a slow leak and will cause ice to buildup and block the fill tube. Disconnect the ice maker line from the valve and watch to see if it has a slow drip. It doesn’t take much to eventually block the fill tube.
The valve can leak because of sediment in the water preventing it from closing or low water pressure.

Try swapping the wires on the dual water inlet valve. Then try the water dispenser. The water should go to the ice maker. This will tell you weather or not the ice maker valve is working and if the line is clear.
theob  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2009 10:39:53 AM(UTC)
theob

alos, is the dual inlet the part on the bottom in the back of the gridge, or is it located up top by the water line inlet?

Originally Posted by: theob Go to Quoted Post
thanks for the response. when you say inlet do you mean into the main refridgerator, or to the back of the ice maker. if ice maker, how do I access that? do i take the ice maker out or can iI get to it from the back. when I disconnect from the line, if its not blocked will it flow freely, or should it normally drip. sorry to be such a novice. I'm not as incapable as I sound, just not sure of what to expect. thanks
woodchuckie  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2009 1:59:25 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

The valve I'm talking about is where the house water supply goes in. When you disconnect the plastic line which goes up to the ice maker the water won't flow. It may drain out of the line till it's empty but it won't come through the valve unless the ice maker is calling far water or there may be a drip if it doesn't cut off all the way.
theob  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2009 11:36:06 AM(UTC)
theob

Hey woodchuckie, you outt there today???

I have the frige out and have dual inlet value unscrewed. when you say switch the wires, do you mean from left to right, or front to back? the leads are obviously different sizes. also, if I switch the wires and the ice maker fills when I hit the water in the door switch, then my water value is bad and I should replace it? Waiting to hear back. thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply