Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nonlocal  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2012 4:20:41 AM(UTC)
nonlocal

Groups: Registered

Oven door slammed shut and control panel went out (kesc308lss0). No display No beeps or response from control buttons. Only stove top works.

I am trying to determine if it is my power board or control board. (note: my power board is located on the right side of the unit behind the cover panel, not underneath the control board as indicated by diagrams) but it looks identical.

Thermal safety fuse rings out OK as well but don't think it is in play here anyway.

I checked power from inline fuse wire over to relay on power board and it is good, so fuse is OK. I wanted to check if proper power was reaching control board but cannot find detailed schematics for power out/in lines to controller board. Install document schematics just show connectors. Need to know which pin and what power voltage to expect.

Alternatively I could try one board at a time, but don't know if Appliance Parts will accept return on the unused part.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2012 5:40:23 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I could not find much info on this unit but see the attachment for the tech sheet.

I think power into the board will be P6/P7 to P1-1.

Since a bang cause it to quit I would disconnect.reconnect all connections between the boards.
Would probably be a good idea to clean them.
Unplug the unit
Open it up
Remove the ribbon cable from the keypad to the control board at the control board.
Clean the edge connector.
If it is the type where there is not a connector just the insulation is removed, it can be cleaned with a pencil eraser. Do not use an ink eraser as it is too abrasive.
Check the tracks in the ribbon cable for hairline cracks. A magnifying glass helps here.
Would not hurt to clean the connector on the board. Use electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush. Be gentle and do not reconnect till all the solvent evaporates.
Reconnect everything and give it a try.

Since you have been working on the unit I am assuming power has been removed from it and restored and it did not reset.

If in doubt about AppliancePartsPros return policy just give them a call and get it clarified.
File Attachment(s):
KESC308.pdf (185kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
nonlocal  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2012 6:54:43 AM(UTC)
nonlocal

Thanks for such a quick reply. I have reset the power several times and reseated the connectors on the controller board with no luck.

Regarding the power in and out of the boards: The connection from the power board unit to the display board unit is from P9 on Power to P1 on display board unit. Are you thinking the low voltage power comes in on pin 1 of P1 on the display board unit? Also, any guess as to what the low voltage is? Looks like 24VDC is generated on the power board to throw a relay elsewhere. Is it possible the Display unit should use 24VDC?
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2012 4:35:53 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are the parts. If you click on the picture a new page will open with more views.
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL KESC308LSS0 30" Slide-In Range DESIGNER STYLE Convection Oven | AppliancePartsPros.com

If I look at the back of the Control board (Item 2 in Section 2), I see nothing that looks like a power supply.
If I look at the back of the Power board (Item 10 in Section 2), I see a transformer etc. so I think this has the only power supply.

I think that the 120 volts to the control board is just fed through it to the power board and then the lower voltage/s are fed back to the control board.

I could not find where it said it was 24 volts DC. Perhaps I just missed it or you may have got the info off the relay.
It is possible that the display uses 24 volts but it will also have to have a lower voltage 3.3 or 5 volts DC to run the integrated circuits. They could be regulating the 24 volts down to this on the control board as you do not need a transformer to do this.
Also possible that the lower voltage is generated on the control board.

Sorry that I cannot be more helpful but I do not have schematics for the boards.

I would check for a cold solder joint on the board. Looks like this may be a bit of a pain as the solder/track side is shielded with a metal cover.
Cold solder joints are often a duller gray and/or have pin holes.
Also try gently wiggling the component to see if it's leads move in the solder connection. A magnifying glass can help here.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
nonlocal  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2012 12:19:42 PM(UTC)
nonlocal

Thanks again. It appears 120V runs directly to my power board, then only one connector runs to the control board (looks like low voltage only). The 24VDC is shown on the schematic you posted on power board pins 10-1 and 10-2 going to a relay. I will probe around that transformer to figure out what should be coming out.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply