Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cookin  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2009 9:47:10 AM(UTC)
cookin

Groups: Registered

For the last several months, there is a continuous clicking like a burner going on and off. It comes from behind the right-side burner control knobs. However, everything is turned off and it does not happen all the time. It drives me nuts so that I often have to turn the range off at the breaker. But, when a repairman was here, I could not get it to click! It's most noticeable in the evening/night long after the range has been used and cooled. Any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Dan O.  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2009 6:42:21 PM(UTC)
Dan O.

Groups: Senior Expert

Quote:
Model Number: mJes9900BAB

I'm afraid that model number looks to be incorrect. Please double check it.

Quote:
there is a continuous clicking from behind the right-side burner control knobs.

Is this a gas range?

If so, are any of the burners sparking when you hear the clicking?

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
cookin  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2009 7:19:14 PM(UTC)
cookin

Groups: Registered

Dan O, Sorry I forgot to tell you it's an electric smooth top downdraft range. Its a shove in. The guy that installed it said it was Model is MJES9900BAB. The M may mean Model, I don't know.

Serial # 15069610JX

Purchased 1-2-07

Also found this # F8114P732-60 10-04-01

About an hr. or two after using the oven or burners, and it is cooled down totally, it starts clicking..the sound comes from the front left burner, or seems to. It doesn't do it all the time and that is the problem. It seems like it does it every night after I cook supper and it cools down. It will go all night, but we got tired of the noise and we shut it off at the breaker! The problem is, Sears doesn't send repairmen out after 5. They only work M-Sat. 8-5. Yesterday the repairman came and, of coarse, it wasn't doing it and he was here over an hr. We put on the burners and oven and shut them down, but it didn't do it. Probably because it wasn't cooled down enough. He called tech support and they said they'd never heard of it. I have an extended warranty and I think I'm getting the run around and they said if they come over 3 X and it doesn't do it, they'll make me pay. Any help would be wonderful..cookin
Dan O.  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2009 10:26:17 AM(UTC)
Dan O.

Groups: Senior Expert

Quote:
The guy that installed it said it was Model is...

It's usually best to get the information right off the appliance's model and serial number identification tag. You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide

Quote:
said it was Model is MJES9900BAB

Just JES9900BAB looks to be a valid model number. For the time being I'll assume that is what you have.

Quote:
the sound comes from the front left burner, or seems to.

There shouldn't be any moving parts in that area which could generate sounds. There is a phenomena referred to as 'oil canning' which is a sound metal can make as it expands and contracts as it heats and cools.

Quote:
It will go all night, but we got tired of the noise and we shut it off at the breaker!

Disconnecting power should not stop a sound produced by oil canning so if it does stop then, that can't be the source.

The only 'moving' parts on that model I can think of which might be responsible for sounds and which also might be interrupted by power being turned off is maybe a relay on the electronic control. It however is on the very front of the appliance and I have no idea why it would act that way at the time you describe.

Quote:
It seems like it does it every night after I cook supper and it cools down.

When you cook supper where? In the oven, on the surface elements, both??

Quote:
of coarse, it wasn't doing it and he was here over an hr. We put on the burners and oven and shut them down, but it didn't do it. Probably because it wasn't cooled down enough.

If possible, next time ask the technician to call an hour (or however long) in advance of his coming so you can try to duplicate the operation that causes it and the amount of time necessary before the sound usually starts.

Quote:
I think I'm getting the run around and they said if they come over 3 X and it doesn't do it, they'll make me pay.

When under the original warranty you'd have to pay the first time a technician was out to a 'nuisance' call although some manufacturers will write off the first such occurrence to 'customer goodwill'. Warranties usually only cover actual failures (which actually have to be present).

JFYI

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply