Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Alvin  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2007 2:16:00 PM(UTC)
Alvin

Groups: Registered

I have a thermador double oven 4 years old with a recent dim display on the clock and no display if the oven is on.
I have ordered the control kit which should has been shipped recently. I have been told this will correct the problem?
Does the oven need to be pulled to replace the main power relay or can this be accessed from the front of the oven without pulling it?
I am not sure by looking at the schematics.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kawfeeman  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 6:10:22 AM(UTC)
kawfeeman

Groups: Senior Expert

just out of curiousity, how did you make out ? did you replace both parts that come with the kit ?
Goober  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:25:29 AM(UTC)
Goober

Success !!

First of all I am in automotive electronics...and have design experience with vaccuum flourescent displays.

Our new double oven display got dimmer and dimmer over 2-3 years....the replacement board was $250 - with no promise it wouldn't do the same thing 2 years from now....

Dim display is a function of the drive voltages to it. A transformer creates these - and the DC voltage is stabalized by capacitors. The capacitors are only rated to 105 C - which means over time the heat will reduce the capacitors capacitance...lowering the drive voltage and diming the display.

Turn off the power - remove the keyboard panel and metal plate it attaches to. Remove the board attached to the metal plate (not the keyboard/board). Replace 3 capacitors (2 x 470 uf 35V, and one 68 uf 35v....highest temp you can get is 125 C.

Display works like a charm...for $10 in parts from radio shack... best is WHEN the display gets dim...its a straightforward fix.... I was actually thinking of puting in a computer fan to keep the top of the oven cooler... but thats another day.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 8:07:53 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You did very good job!

Gene.
rjcruiser  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 5:39:33 AM(UTC)
rjcruiser

Originally Posted by: Goober Go to Quoted Post
Success !!

First of all I am in automotive electronics...and have design experience with vaccuum flourescent displays.

Dim display is a function of the drive voltages to it. A transformer creates these - and the DC voltage is stabalized by capacitors. The capacitors are only rated to 105 C - which means over time the heat will reduce the capacitors capacitance...lowering the drive voltage and diming the display.

Turn off the power - remove the keyboard panel and metal plate it attaches to. Remove the board attached to the metal plate (not the keyboard/board). Replace 3 capacitors (2 x 470 uf 35V, and one 68 uf 35v....highest temp you can get is 125 C.

I've got a single oven and have the same problem. I'm thinking that this fix will work. Do you have any pics of which capacitors you replaced? Are the capacitors on the back of the display itself or the other main board?

Here are the pics of the parts that come with the kit.
http://www.appliancepartspros.c...27&diagram_id=194156

I'm guessing that the capacitors are on the top board (which is the actually display unit). Is there a tool that I should buy to test the capacitors to find those that have gone bad?

I appreciate any help as I don't want to have to spend $275 for a $10 fix.
boonjh  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 13, 2009 2:35:00 PM(UTC)
boonjh

Thank you so much for your Fix! It worked like a charm for me. I now still have an unrelated problem, and was wondering if you had any ideas?

The touch buttons for the lower oven are unresponsive, except the "off" button that beeps appropriately when touched? I assume since it is a grouping of buttons, there must be a problem in a common circuit component??

Thanks again for your great tip!!
slipson  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:01:14 PM(UTC)
slipson

When you replace the capacitors 2 x 470 uf 35V, and one 68 uf 35v
WERE THOSE THE NEW ONES AND WHAT WERE THE OLD ONES.
katzman001  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2009 6:46:11 AM(UTC)
katzman001

Can you give me part numbers or a source for the capacitors that you used?
floodland  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 2:38:43 PM(UTC)
floodland

This worked perfectly for me! Kudos to you for this suggestion. $0.56 in parts from a electronic supply house here in San Jose and 7 minutes of my friends time (I am a crappy solderer) and the oven works perfectly!
katzman001  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2009 5:50:01 AM(UTC)
katzman001

This worked great. I am not a great solderer, but it only took me an hour start to finish. Saved me hundreds.

Thanks again.

Success !!

Our new double oven display got dimmer and dimmer over 2-3 years....the replacement board was $250 - with no promise it wouldn't do the same thing 2 years from now....

Display works like a charm...for $10 in parts from radio shack... best is WHEN the display gets dim...its a straightforward fix.... I was actually thinking of puting in a computer fan to keep the top of the oven cooler... but thats another day.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply