Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
acooney  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:58:05 PM(UTC)
acooney

Groups: Registered

About a week ago the temperature in the oven started working inconsistantly, then the control panel showed error message Sab5. We unplugged the unit and plugged back in, which did nothing. We tried the broiler, which worked fine and still does. The stove top burners also work but the oven at best only heated up to 320, when set at 350. Not sure if is the control panel or something else.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 12:58:31 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: acooney Go to Quoted Post
About a week ago the temperature in the oven started working inconsistantly, then the control panel showed error message Sab5. We unplugged the unit and plugged back in, which did nothing. We tried the broiler, which worked fine and still does. The stove top burners also work but the oven at best only heated up to 320, when set at 350. Not sure if is the control panel or something else.

Acooney,

If, you don't have any other fail codes, and you did not do a Self clean cycle just before this occurred, you may want to try and recalibrate the control.
" To adjust the oven temperature:
1. Press the Bake pad.
2. Enter 550° by pressing the appropriate number pads.
3. Press and hold the Bake pad for several seconds or until
° appears in the display.
If the oven temperature was previously adjusted, the
change will be displayed. For example, if the oven temperature
was reduced by 15
° the display will show “-15°”.
4. Press the Autoset 0 pad to adjust the temperature.
Each time the Autoset pad 0 is pressed, the temperature
changes by 5
°. The oven temperature can be increased or
decreased by 5
° to 35°.
Pressing the Autoset 0 pad will first cycle through increasing
the oven temperature (5, 10, . . . 35). Continuing to
press the Autoset 0 pad will then cycle through decreasing
the oven temperature (-35, -30, . . . -5).
5. The time of day will automatically reappear in the display.
You do not need to readjust the oven temperature if there is a
power failure or interruption. Temperature adjustment applies
to Bake, Convect Bake and Convect Roast (select models)

only. Broiling and cleaning temperatures cannot be adjusted."

But first you need to verify your oven temperature : set an accurate thermometer in the center of the oven cavity, pre heat the oven at 400 dgrs. for 15 to 20 minutes. Allow the oven to cycle at least three times after the preheat cycle. Average the three temperatures. Then calibrate the control accordingly.

Thanks and Good Luck,
:) :) :)
acooney  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2011 11:11:37 AM(UTC)
acooney

Thanks, Joe. We tried to recalibrate the control panel but that did not work and the oven has now stopped heating up at all. So, with the stove top burners and broiler still working I purchased a new ignitor and installed it.

When I turned the oven on nothing happened, so I turned on the broiler, which caused the new ignitor to begin to heat up, which confirms that it has power but before it would could ignite the broiler I heard gas entering the oven and I could smell it. This made me a little nervous so I hit cancel to stp the gas and now I don't know what to try next. Any suggestions?

Thanks, ac
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2011 2:05:57 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Thanks, Joe. We tried to recalibrate the control panel but that did not work and the oven has now stopped heating up at all. So, with the stove top burners and broiler still working I purchased a new ignitor and installed it.

When I turned the oven on nothing happened, so I turned on the broiler, which caused the new ignitor to begin to heat up, which confirms that it has power but before it would could ignite the broiler I heard gas entering the oven and I could smell it. This made me a little nervous so I hit cancel to stp the gas and now I don't know what to try next. Any suggestions?

Thanks, ac

AC,

You're getting a delayed ignition or the new igniter was not installed properly. Once you program a cycle,and temperature, the control supplies 120 VAC to the igniter, It starts to glow, when the igniter glows"white hot" it produces a 3.2 to 3.6 amp draw or 3.2 to 3.6 VAC to the terminals on the safety valve. When the proper electrical requirements are met, the bi metal switch in the safety valve opens and releases the gas for ignition and burn. Check and make sure there are no loose wiring connections, the openings on the burner(s) are clean and the igniter and mount are not bent or deformed, if both igniters are glowing "white hot".

acooney  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2011 4:31:31 PM(UTC)
acooney

I didn't realize this oven had two ignitors, one on the top of the oven above the broiler burner and one below the bottom plate of the oven for the oven burner. So, since I already replaced the broiler ignitor unnecessarily, I then replaced the oven ignitor with the old working broiler ignitor. I tested the new (old) ignitor without the gas on and the ignitor energized but now I have to reinstall the bottom plate, plug the stove back in and turn the gas back on so I can see if that did the trick. I'm still concerned about the gas smell I smelled before and was wondering if I should be bleeding the gas line a little or something before I test the ignitor with the gas turned on. Any tips on how to proceed? Thanks, AC
acooney  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2011 5:05:42 PM(UTC)
acooney

Hey Joe,

Everything works now!! I'm kicking myself for wasting all the extra time on replacing two ignitors when I only needed to replace one, but no harm done. Now I know a little more about my stove then I did before it stopped working. Thanks for the advice. Have a Happy New Year!

ac:D:D
Joe / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:20:36 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Hey Joe,

Everything works now!! I'm kicking myself for wasting all the extra time on replacing two ignitors when I only needed to replace one, but no harm done. Now I know a little more about my stove then I did before it stopped working. Thanks for the advice. Have a Happy New Year!

ac:D:D

AC,
Great, We're glad you're up and running.

Thanks for allowing APP to assist you, it was a pleasure.

Have a Happy New Year,

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply