Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jpecobird1  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:29:13 AM(UTC)
jpecobird1

Groups: Registered

Help me! I turned on my oven and no heat. The ignitor glows red hot but no gas flames. I am at a loss - cannot afford to replace it right now and really don't want to rob Peter to pay a service tech if I can avoid it. I am very handy around the house with electric and plumbing so hopefully if you can help me diagnose this, I can fix it myself. The only problems I have had are the thermostat had to be replaced in 2001 and have replaced the seals - otherwise no problems with this oven.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Dan O.  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:46:06 PM(UTC)
Dan O.

Groups: Senior Expert

Quote:
Model Number: CWG4020

That model number is incomplete. Did you get it right off the appliance's model and serial number identification tag?

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide

Quote:
The ignitor glows red hot but no gas flames.

No gas getting to the oven burner could be caused by a defective ignitor or a problem in the oven gas valve. And yes, an ignitor can glow and still be defective. The only way to determine which (besides trial and error) is to test the amperage draw on the ignitor circuit as described at the following link.

LINK > Understanding Gas Oven Ignition Systems

The ignitor most likely used on your model should usually draw 3.2 - 3.6 amps. If it drew above or below that it would likely be defective and need to be replaced. If it was within those tolerances, the gas valve would be suspect.

LINK > Maytag CWG4020AAB Oven Ignitor

JFYI

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply