Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jimbouk15  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:56:24 PM(UTC)
jimbouk15

Groups: Registered

Hi -

My 2 year old Whirlpool Combo Oven/Microwave is resetting itself at the end of cooking or microwaving cycles. Happens typically when the oven finishes it's cool down cycle or the microwave beeps to tell you the cooking timer has finished. Screen resets to 12:00 and shows PF (Power Fail I assume) in the display.

Had a service guy out a few weeks ago, he found bad wiring connections behind the oven (wirenuts melted) This was totally replaced and re-wired by a pro electrician as we thought this was the cause of the PF error codes all the time, but possibly that has caused some instability somewhere else in the device...

Any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Dan O.  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:44:42 PM(UTC)
Dan O.

Groups: Senior Expert

Quote:
we thought this was the cause of the PF error codes all the time, but possibly that has caused some instability somewhere else in the device.

If there isn't a bad connection in the main wiring nor in the wiring inside the appliance leading to the control, there could be a problem in the electronic control board itself. I don't know if the previous condition could cause any other problems but may definitely be a possibility with these electronic controls. :rolleyes:

LINK > Whirlpool GMC275PRS01 Electronic Control

JMO

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
jimbouk15  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:18:25 PM(UTC)
jimbouk15

Thanks Dan - had someone else suggest the same, so I plan on replacing the control panel first and see if that's the fix...
Dan O.  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 10:10:16 PM(UTC)
Dan O.

Quote:
I plan on replacing the control panel first

I suggested the electronic control (aka circuit board) not the control *panel* which is something totally different.

Let us know how you eventually make out.

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
jimbouk15  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:05:45 AM(UTC)
jimbouk15

Dan O -

I replaced the main "circuit board" with a brand new replacement part, but i'm still seeing the same issue - I've homed in on the symptoms a little more now the "PF" condition seems to occur when the microwave is running and in the last few seconds of microwave cooking or when the microwave finishes and "beeps" that it's done cooking.

What else should I look at????
Dan O.  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:57:01 PM(UTC)
Dan O.

Quote:
"PF" condition seems to occur when the microwave is running and in the last few seconds of microwave cooking or when the microwave finishes and "beeps" that it's done cooking.

The microwave may be causing a power surge when it stops heating that may be interfering with the other control? A loose connection somewhere in the wiring might cause that but I've never heard of your exact complaint before. :(

You might need to call in a professional to try to track it down. If you do I would suggest a Whirlpool *factory service depot* (see the following link) as they should be most familiar with the product and should know of any particular problem areas to look into first.

LINK > Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Roper Service Locator

BTW. I'd also suggest trying one of the *local* companies listed at the link above rather than one at some 800 number.

Sorry I couldn't suggest anything else. :o

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply