Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dave S.  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:42:26 PM(UTC)
Dave S.

Groups: Registered

I need to replace the glass top on my stove and I just ordered the part from this site. I looked at my stove and the glass top appears to be sealed or glued to the three metal panels on the rear and sides. The glass top I ordered only comes as a plain piece of glass. It appears as if I will I have to separate the old glass from the metal panels. Does this sound correct? If I do, then what would I use to secure the new glass back onto the stove?

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Dave S.  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:57:43 PM(UTC)
Dave S.

I never got a reply to this post so I figured I would answer my own question since I figured it out and maybe this may help someone else. I received the part today and when I opened the box there was already a thin pad installed all along the edges of the glass. I learned it doesn't actually seal down to the side panels, it's just cushioned on the panels by the pads. It also had metal rails on it all the way around it to secure it down to the frame. You can't see these rails until you move the side and rear panels away. I also had to remove the entire front control panel to get access to the screws that secured the front rail of the glass to the frame. Once I got the old glass off I became aware that all the burner coils are mounted to the glass! The picture in the diagram doesn't give that impression. I had to disconnect the wire harness to the coils and remove the whole top as a unit. It wasn't too hard to move everything over to the new glass though. Installation was just reversal of removal. It was a little more involved than I thought it might be, but the whole job took me about 90 minutes so it wasn't too bad. I build airplanes for a living so I can usually figure out just about anything mechanical once I tear into it. Hope that maybe this can help someone else out with this same problem.
stevemode  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:37:54 PM(UTC)
stevemode

Hi, I'm about to order parts to attempt a similar repair myself. It sounds like we might be working on similar stoves. What is the manufacturer and model number you repaired? Mine is GE JSP42SOK3SS (JSP42SK3SS) with replacement part WB62T10533. Did you end up having to replace the side gaskets? I see that they are sold as separate parts, but I'm not sure if I need them. I've also heard some talk about double stick tape holding the top down. Did you encounter any of that? Thanks for your help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply