Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lonepalm  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 9:30:22 AM(UTC)
lonepalm

Groups: Registered

The large dual element on my range doesn't heat up. I removed the element and tested the resistance, read approximately 80 ohms. I tested another element and only read 23 ohms. According to some online research I found it should be between 19 & 115 ohms. I tried swapping switches between elements and the problem remained with the same element. Could it be the power control boards or is my resistance to high for that element?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Dan O.  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:12:28 PM(UTC)
Dan O.

Groups: Senior Expert

Quote:
Model Number: 790.99013

That model number is incomplete, it is 3-4 digits. Please post the complete model number so we can look it up to see what appliance you're dealing with and what components it uses which might be responsible for problems.

Quote:
I removed the element and tested the resistance, read approximately 80 ohms.

If the element was the problem it would have infinite resistance. Anything else and it is is likely good (or at least not the cause of a 'no heat' complaint).

Did you check the element's limiter switch? If open it would prevent the element from heating as well.

JMO

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
lonepalm  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 1:57:51 PM(UTC)
lonepalm

Groups: Registered

Model from the data plate inside the warming drawer reads is 790.99013101. The unit is a Kenmore Elite Range. In the meantime I tested the voltage to that element and only saw 12-13 volts ac. I haven't checked the limiter
Dan O.  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 6:54:52 PM(UTC)
Dan O.

Groups: Senior Expert

Quote:
I tested the voltage to that element and only saw 12-13 volts ac.

I don't know how you are testing to get that reading. AFAIK the element should receive 240 volts or nothing.

Quote:
I haven't checked the limiter

Someone should because if the element is definitely good, either no power is getting to the element or the limiter isn't allowing it to reach the element.

BTW. If the element limiter is found to be defective the whole element will have to be replaced as the limiter is not available separately. :(

JFYI

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply