Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TORTOISEDAVE  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:45:29 PM(UTC)
TORTOISEDAVE

Groups: Registered

Clock display began dimming and eventually dimmed until nothing but black. All functions seem to be working fine. We continue to bake, timer works fine. Ding sounds when oven hot, timer dings when done. Just no display to read. Any ideas? Appreciate any help. Maybe this thing is too old to put money into. It's about 12 years old.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:22:49 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for JENN-AIR W30400B | AppliancePartsPros.com

A fairly common problem with JennAires. The control board normally needs replacing, Item 3 in the "Control panel" section.

The electrolytic capacitorsm on the board dry out over time and do not hold a charge so the display dims and finally goes out.
Could always just replace the capacitors if you have some electronics experience.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
kayakcrzy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:49:37 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Originally Posted by: tortoisedave Go to Quoted Post
clock display began dimming and eventually dimmed until nothing but black. all functions seem to be working fine. we continue to bake, timer works fine. ding sounds when oven hot, timer dings when done. just no display to read. any ideas? appreciate any help. maybe this thing is too old to put money into. it's about 12 years old.

part # is 71001799. tom
TORTOISEDAVE  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:39:01 AM(UTC)
TORTOISEDAVE

Not into electronics enough to replace the capacitors but will attempt to replace the control board. Not sure how to detach the ribbon. Do you push in on the clips on each end and pull out or what? I don't want to ruin the ribbon. Sure appreciate your help.
TORTOISEDAVE  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:44:56 AM(UTC)
TORTOISEDAVE

Thanks Tom! Ordered the control panel. Only question is how to remove and replace the ribbon without damaging it. Thanks for the help.
kayakcrzy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:35:01 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Alot of times on both side of where the ribbon goes, there is a clip that you just lift up on, on each side, and then slide the ribbon in, and push down on the clips on each side, and that will hold the ribbon in place. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
TORTOISEDAVE  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2009 6:31:00 PM(UTC)
TORTOISEDAVE

Thanks for your help. Replaced the part you suggested and all working well. Appreciate your being there!
kayakcrzy  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 4:37:26 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Good Job. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
EdFromOhio  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2010 9:59:52 AM(UTC)
EdFromOhio

Originally Posted by: TORTOISEDAVE Go to Quoted Post
Clock display began dimming and eventually dimmed until nothing but black. All functions seem to be working fine. We continue to bake, timer works fine. Ding sounds when oven hot, timer dings when done. Just no display to read. Any ideas? Appreciate any help. Maybe this thing is too old to put money into. It's about 12 years old.

We put up with the same thing for over a year because I didn't want to pay $125 for a replacement. Learning that during the time these stoves were made, there was a foreign company making defective capacitors that went into tons of electronics, I took a chance and replaced the two 470uf 35V, one 22uf 50V and 68uf 35v capactor on the clock's board. Hooked it all up and it works like brand new. This may not be the same problem you have, but I'd imagine this affects about 95% of those whose clocks go totally dim but the stove still works.

Here are the part numbers from Mouser.com that I purchased, all made by Panasonic:
One - 667-EEU-FM1H220
One - 667-EEU-FM1V680
Two - 667-EEU-FC1V471B

And here is more information on the capacitor issue:
Capacitor plague - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It took about a half hour to do the repair, most of the time waiting for my cheap soldering iron to warm up. If you're not totally comfortable making that kind of repair, ask a friend that is good at that sort of thing or see if you can have a repair shop do it for you. If you do attempt it and haven't done much of this before, take note that capacitors are like batteries and only go one way. If you put them backwards, they can damage the board beyond repair. There is a big minus mark on the board, and the capacitor has a stripe down the negative side. Put the negative side of the capacitor on the side marked as negative on the board, and off you go. If you're still not sure, look at the capacitors before you take them off the board. Be sure to take note of which capacitor goes where if you take them all out before installing the new ones.
TrischfromKS  
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2010 2:12:48 PM(UTC)
TrischfromKS

THANK YOU, EdFromOhio! We fixed my mom's display this afternoon. We just had to replace the 68uf cap that leaked. Luckily my brother-in-law and sister both were here - they can use the soldering iron and I'm pretty good with google (that's how I came across your post). I'll have to bookmark this website!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply