Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
03Crawler  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:30:08 PM(UTC)
03Crawler

Groups: Registered

Well......my saga continues....Went to cook a take home pizza.....(Papa Murphy's.... Yum!).Set oven temp to 400 - preheat cycle started......Oven came up to temp, popped the pie in the oven, and about 10 minutes in the oven beeps and displays an error code E2 F3. Used you site to diagnose - bad oven temp sensor...... Well shame on me for not checking resistance and confirming that the sensor was bad........ Ordered a new temp sensor from AppliancePartsPros - great service by the way. Installed new sensor in oven compartment - and the oven threw the same code. Pulled the lower (broiler?) sensor and checked resisitance - right at 1.1k Ohm. Checked the old temp sensor and it too is at 1.1k Ohm. So now what? ERC? Do NOT want to throw $300 bucks unless I am sure this is the culprit. Help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2009 1:49:00 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is the parts breakdown
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL GS475LEMS1 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is the tech sheet
https://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%208522648.pdf

Sounds like you have a meter.
The error is an over temp so you are looking for an open circuit or high resistance (sensor is positive, resistance rises as temperature rises).
I imagine you have already unplugged it for a while to see if it will reset.
If not try that, give it at least 10 minutes.

Visually check the connection at the control board. Check that the pins etc. are not corroded, often looks like a dull grey or brown coating.
If OK
Next measure the resistance of the sensor at the control board.
If you can do it on the board itself as this will also check the connectors.
Note you may have to change the polarity of your leads to get an accurate reading, In any case it should be 1.1 K ohm or less.
If OK
Remove the control board. Jiggle the connector a little while watching the soldered side of the board to see if the pins move. Do this with components that are close to the connector, seem to be part of the sensor circuit. Also check the board for cold solder joints, often they are a duller color or have pin holes. A magnifying glass comes in handy here.

If all the above is OK then I would get a control board.
Note that nothing is guaranteed but at least you have checked it out as best you can.

Hopefully someone else will have a couple additional ideas.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
03Crawler  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:43:20 PM(UTC)
03Crawler

Denman......thanks for the speedy reply. I have a meter and will run the checks you mentioned. More to come! Just keeping my fingers crossed it is NOT the ERC.............
Jim
03Crawler  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:13:26 PM(UTC)
03Crawler

Denman,
Double checked both the oven and broiler temp sensors at their connections: both were 1.102 k ohm.

Traced the leads and checked them at the control board - weird thing is the resistance went down: oven was 0.928 k ohm and the broiler was 0.950.

Pins were not discolored and all connections were sturdy - nothing looked loose, burnt, off color....etc.

All components around the connections appeared solid, and no cold solder that I could see.

Oven was unplugged for 12 + hours - so I think I have the reset covered........

Anything else before taking the plunge on a new circuit board?????

Help!
denman  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:09:34 AM(UTC)
denman

I cannot think of anything.
Perhaps someone else will jump in with another possibility.
kayakcrzy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:35:21 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

unfortunantly the sensor plugs into the control board. these codes are not always accurate. as a tech you have to basically take an educated guess, because the meter will only take you so far. the clock control board, is the last thing it could be at this time. tom
Ex-SearsTech  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:51:51 PM(UTC)
Ex-SearsTech

I have seen this couple times and called our tech assist line and twice was told to remove the plug for the oven temp sensor and hardwire it. Apparently the plug can be the issue. I personally was not called back out on those ovens but I have no way of knowing if someone else got the call so I cannot promise it will fix it but it is a lot cheaper than a new board.
03Crawler  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:28:42 PM(UTC)
03Crawler

Great site guys...... Nice to see so many people jump in for a go..... I will hard wire the oven temp sensor and see what that nets me.
Again, I really appreciate the responses.

Was thinking about the next step, and after trying the hard wire fix......will probably call a service tech and see what this would cost me. At least if they replace the board there should be some warranty period, and hopefully some other type of resolution / credit if it turns out to NOT be the ERC. I am assuming that once I purchased the ERC from Appliance Parts Pros that there would be no option of return? (Typical for electronics).

Jim
denman  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2009 3:11:05 AM(UTC)
denman

If you do try the hard wire make sure to leave some wire on the sensor plug so you can splice it back on in case the hard wire does not fix the problem.
Otherwise you will have to buy a board and a new sensor.
Ex-SearsTech  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2009 10:34:34 AM(UTC)
Ex-SearsTech

If you call Sears look into the "smart service agreement" for around $200.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply