Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
diggityDawg  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2011 12:34:40 PM(UTC)
diggityDawg

Groups: Registered

We have a KitchenAid Superba double oven, which had the famous "Cleaning Cycle blew my fuses" issue where we put the oven into self-cleaning mode, which blew the thermal and thermostatic fuses on the oven. Thanks to Gene's help on many threads here, I was able to get the oven open, then replaced the fuses, as well as the blower. Everything "appears" to be fine now, except every time we turn on the oven, after about a minute or two it shuts off and shows error code F2 E0. From looking at the manual, it looks like that means there is a connection error between the control board and the keypad. I've tried cleaning the connection, as suggested before, but no matter what I do I always get that error now. So I figured I would replace the keypad. Unfortunately it's no longer made and can't be replaced. I've searched everywhere.

We're being told that our only choice is to dump this oven and get a new one. What I have a big problem with is, everything seems to work fine on the oven! I can't believe we're gonna have to spend $2-3k for a new oven, when the only issue is the connection between the keypad and the control board! I'm an IT guy, I undestand computer hardware, and this keypad isn't "broken", it still works fine for setting the time, setting a timer, putting in a temperature, etc.

So I'm wondering if there's ANYTHING I can do to save this oven? Seems like an unbelievable waste to toss it because of this error code. Is there any way to bypass the error? Can anything be done?

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

Eddie
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:26:05 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Your problem is not necessarily the keypad, it could be the control board.
You said you replaced the fuses so I am assuming that you replaced the power transformer fuse and the oven element's thermal fuse.

Did you check these with a meter before replacing to be sure they were blown?
I am also assuming that the control/timer did not light up and that is why you replaced transformer fuse.

The usual way to check these problems is to check the keypad switches with a meter and then if it checks out OK replace the control board. Still a bit of a crap shoot but your odds are better. The problem here is that they do not give a pin out listing for the keypad.
You would have to make a chart and then by trial and error figure out which two ribbon cable connections correspond to which key to see if all keys are OK. This is complicated by the fact that if the keypad has diodes on it so the meter polarity also is important.

I would check the ribbon cable wires/tracks for continuity. If you find an open one then this is repairable. The easiest way is to solder in a jumper wire.
You could also check the keys but that will be time consuming to say the least.

Now for the gamble.
If we assume that the control board is passive (does not have any integrated circuits/transistors on it) then the a voltage spike would be more likely to knock out the control board.
Here I am assuming that the ribbon cable measures OK.
Then odds are that the control board is shot but I cannot give you a percentage on this but it would be higher than 50%.

There are companies out there that repair control boards just Google "appliance timer repair".
Be sure to get a cost so you know how much the gamble will cost.
Also be sure to give them a description of the problem etc.

I would also remove the transformer and connect it to a line cord and check the voltages on the secondary to be sure it is OK. Some electrical experience is needed to do this.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
denman  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:28:20 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
In case you do not have it see the attachment for the tech sheet
File Attachment(s):
KEBS278.pdf (363kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply