Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jimneaf  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:53:16 AM(UTC)
jimneaf

Groups: Registered

House power was interrupted during cleaning cycle. I reset the clock and started the cleaning cycle again. Although the indicator lights came on, the oven didn't heat during the cleaning cycle and the oven will not light at all. The top burner still lights and functions as a broiler. Also, this stove has a warming drawer that does work!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Necromancer  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:58:18 AM(UTC)
Necromancer

I was about to post a similar issue with a Kenmore Gas oven. I might be able to help you get the oven to work although, you'll have to baby sit it while it's on.
First thing you need to do is take the screws out that secure the bottom pan which will allow you access to the flame bar.
Next. Turn on the oven to a desired temp and wait about 5 minutes. The igniter should be glowing.
Now. In your right hand you'll need something about 2 feet long and somewhat on the heavy side. Open the door, lift up the pan and give the flame bar a firm tap with the object. It might take a couple of tries but the bar might just light up as it does in mine.
I'm still not sure why this has happened to mine or why the aforementioned procedure works but, it does.
I do have to baby sit the oven because it won't always re-light after the temp drops. That's when I take a whack at the door with a firm knee hit and it will re-light.
jimneaf  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:58:49 AM(UTC)
jimneaf

Originally Posted by: Necromancer Go to Quoted Post
I was about to post a similar issue with a Kenmore Gas oven. I might be able to help you get the oven to work although, you'll have to baby sit it while it's on.
First thing you need to do is take the screws out that secure the bottom pan which will allow you access to the flame bar.
Next. Turn on the oven to a desired temp and wait about 5 minutes. The igniter should be glowing.
Now. In your right hand you'll need something about 2 feet long and somewhat on the heavy side. Open the door, lift up the pan and give the flame bar a firm tap with the object. It might take a couple of tries but the bar might just light up as it does in mine.
I'm still not sure why this has happened to mine or why the aforementioned procedure works but, it does.
I do have to baby sit the oven because it won't always re-light after the temp drops. That's when I take a whack at the door with a firm knee hit and it will re-light.

Thanks, but I already took off the bottom pan and the igniter doesn't glow. The igniter at the top of the oven also does not glow when I turn the oven, but does when I turn on the broiler. I assume that the two must be connected so that if one doesn't work, they both won't work. I suspect that either the igniter is bad or the control panel needs to be replaced.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:37:15 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jimneaf Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, but I already took off the bottom pan and the igniter doesn't glow. The igniter at the top of the oven also does not glow when I turn the oven, but does when I turn on the broiler. I assume that the two must be connected so that if one doesn't work, they both won't work. I suspect that either the igniter is bad or the control panel needs to be replaced.

Most likely the problem is a bad Bake igniter. For more accurate advice we need the complete model number of the oven.

Gene.
Gene  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:40:02 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: Necromancer Go to Quoted Post

Sounds like the oven igniter is the culprit. If you need the correct part number for the igniter then post the complete model number of the oven.

Gene.
jimneaf  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:54:02 PM(UTC)
jimneaf

model is Kenmore (frigidare) 790.78692401
Gene  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:22:07 PM(UTC)
Gene

Remove the oven floor and the flame spreader. Check for 120VAC to the Bake igniter while the control calls for Bake. If there is proper voltage then replace the igniter.

- The part number for the Bake igniter is AP3963540

Gene.
jimneaf  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:40:29 PM(UTC)
jimneaf

Thanks Gene, I'll check it out! Jim
Necromancer  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:53:53 PM(UTC)
Necromancer

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like the oven igniter is the culprit. If you need the correct part number for the igniter then post the complete model number of the oven.

Gene.

Kenmore (Hotpoint) 317B6528P001

Help me understand how to determine if the igniter is the problem. I'm fairly handy but have a problem determining if the igniter is bad since it does glow.
I took the door off and removed the floor pan to inspect the igniter operation one day and, it seemed to be working as it should. But while doing the inspection I somehow tapped on the flame bar and it immediately lighted.
Also. When the flame bar lights after a good tap, it will only be a small flame until I tap it again which causes it to light up fully.
I have a multi-tester.

Thank you.
jimneaf  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:56:02 PM(UTC)
jimneaf

Gene,
I checked and have no voltage to the lower igniter when I turn the on. Control panel?? Jim
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply