Discuss

Frigidaire gas wall oven- burner won't stay lit

in

Oven Repair (including Ranges and Cooktops)

. "

I have a gas wall oven that heats up the igniter, calls for gas, the flame starts out nice, then

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Oven Repair (including Ranges and Cooktops) » Frigidaire gas wall oven- burner won't stay lit

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 10:39 AM

tkeller is on a distinguished road
Default Frigidaire gas wall oven- burner won't stay lit
Brand: Frigidaire   Age: 5 - 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I have a gas wall oven that heats up the igniter, calls for gas, the flame starts out nice, then within about 5 seconds the flame withers and goes out. the Igniter remains hot but the gas flow is so reduced that it will not remain lit.
other points: the broiler burner is operating fine.
question: can i swap the igniter from the broiler to the bake burner to rule out the igniter?
with a multimeter how do i measure the amps that the igniter is pulling? i have read that 3.2 amps or better is what i should see. is this a somewhat universal draw for all models?
thanks.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 07-28-2011, 09:49 AM

BobMayo is on a distinguished road

Hello, Sounds like I have the same problem as you have. No one responded to my post in several weeks. Did you ever figure out what the problem is? Bob
Old 07-29-2011, 04:21 PM

Hey Bob, i was able to successfully test the amp draw of my ignitor and compared that to the broiler, it was significantly lower, i found a site that sells replacement parts at a really good discount, my ignitor happened to price out at $190.... !!! i took the chance to order from the site i found, i rec'd the parts today and will give the swap out a shot and let you know.
Todd keller
Old 07-30-2011, 03:33 PM

Bob,
i replaced the ignitor today in my wall oven, that was the problem, just like everyone says, 90% of the time it is the ignitor.
I got my replacement part from stoveparts.net,here's a link
Igniters: Stoveparts
there is a cross reference page to make sure you are getting a proper replacement.
hope this helps you out.
let me know if you want to contact me directly via email for more information.
Todd
Old 08-09-2011, 06:27 PM

Todd, Thanks for the info. I need to get an amp meter to check the draw. In the mean time I disassembled the burner and blew out the brass jet. After that the oven started working properly. It could also be that I moved the igniter in the process. I will check it with an amp meter if it fails again. Bob
Old 11-10-2011, 06:11 AM

Just a follow-up for anyone with this problem. I replaced the igniter and that fixed the problem. The igniter also controls the gas flow valve. The part was $135. As a precaution I will not be using the self-cleaning function. I never liked the idea of super-heating the oven to 900 - 1000 degrees just to clean it. In my opinion this will surely shorten the life of a residential oven. The igniter is right there in the oven getting blasted with 1000 degree heat during a self-cleaning cycle. I could be wrong but let's face the facts.....manufacturers don't want these appliances to last forever.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.