Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tkeller  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:39:58 AM(UTC)
tkeller

Groups: Registered

I have a gas wall oven that heats up the igniter, calls for gas, the flame starts out nice, then within about 5 seconds the flame withers and goes out. the Igniter remains hot but the gas flow is so reduced that it will not remain lit.
other points: the broiler burner is operating fine.
question: can i swap the igniter from the broiler to the bake burner to rule out the igniter?
with a multimeter how do i measure the amps that the igniter is pulling? i have read that 3.2 amps or better is what i should see. is this a somewhat universal draw for all models?
thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

BobMayo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:49:28 AM(UTC)
BobMayo

Hello, Sounds like I have the same problem as you have. No one responded to my post in several weeks. Did you ever figure out what the problem is? Bob
tkeller  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2011 3:21:05 PM(UTC)
tkeller

Hey Bob, i was able to successfully test the amp draw of my ignitor and compared that to the broiler, it was significantly lower, i found a site that sells replacement parts at a really good discount, my ignitor happened to price out at $190.... !!! i took the chance to order from the site i found, i rec'd the parts today and will give the swap out a shot and let you know.
Todd keller
tkeller  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 2:33:27 PM(UTC)
tkeller

Bob,
i replaced the ignitor today in my wall oven, that was the problem, just like everyone says, 90% of the time it is the ignitor.
I got my replacement part from stoveparts.net,here's a link
Igniters: Stoveparts
there is a cross reference page to make sure you are getting a proper replacement.
hope this helps you out.
let me know if you want to contact me directly via email for more information.
Todd
BobMayo  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 5:27:01 PM(UTC)
BobMayo

Todd, Thanks for the info. I need to get an amp meter to check the draw. In the mean time I disassembled the burner and blew out the brass jet. After that the oven started working properly. It could also be that I moved the igniter in the process. I will check it with an amp meter if it fails again. Bob
BobMayo  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:11:24 AM(UTC)
BobMayo

Just a follow-up for anyone with this problem. I replaced the igniter and that fixed the problem. The igniter also controls the gas flow valve. The part was $135. As a precaution I will not be using the self-cleaning function. I never liked the idea of super-heating the oven to 900 - 1000 degrees just to clean it. In my opinion this will surely shorten the life of a residential oven. The igniter is right there in the oven getting blasted with 1000 degree heat during a self-cleaning cycle. I could be wrong but let's face the facts.....manufacturers don't want these appliances to last forever.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply