Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
destan  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2011 8:10:06 AM(UTC)
destan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Looks like Whirlpool double oven control panel goes dead just about 5-7 year mark.

The control board is the only electronic part in this oven. The telltale sign that the board is gone: dimmed or blank LED clock. It will start dimming and will go out totally in a day or two. It may come back for a brief period, but the ovens can not be used. The inside light will come on as you open the door, few buttons may make a beeping sound.

Go ahead and order the part. It is around $191.

Step by step:

You may want to get manual 8178007 that will give you a general idea.

1- Make sure the power is off. There is 240 volts inside, that will be lethal.
2- Open both doors.
3- Remove 4 screws on the side trim, 2 on each side, one inside the upper and 1 inside the lower oven.
4- Close oven doors.
5- Pull out the trim pieces at the bottom 1-2" towards you, then pull them down. Be carefull, the trim pieces are stainless and have sharp edges.
6- There are two types of controls. The older type: you will remove two screws that are on on the control panel, one on each side, normally hidden by the trim pieces. You will undo those, then tilt up the whole control panel at the bottom and unhook from the top. Then you will see a bundle of wires. Then go to Step 8.
7- For the newer type ovens. Those two screws have no function. If you pull the panel hard, you may break the tabs of the front bezel. A $60 part. The control panel will not tilt up from the bottom. You will then have to move the whole oven out. The trim pieces should have uncovered 4 to 6 more screws that fix the oven to the wood cabinet. Undo those screws. All you need is about 1" or so. You do not need to remove the screws. Then slide the whole oven out about 1" towards yourself. At the top, and the sides; you will see two black screws on each side. Remove the screws. Now lift up the conrol panel and tilt down to see a bundle of wires.
8- Next unhook all the wires. The only wires you need to worry about are 4 power wires that bring power in, red in color. Mark where they are connected. The rest are indexed and you can not mix them.
9- Take the panel out completely.
10- On the left you will see a small circuit board. This board controls the door lock when the oven is in self clean mode. You will need this board. Save it.
11- Then disconnect the ribbon cable. You need to pinch the two long sides and pull out the ribbon clip.
12- Then remove the 4 screws that hold the control board to the rest.
13- Put the new board in.
14- Put the door lock circuit board in it's slot.
15- Remove the ribbon cable clip from the socket of the new board, slide the clip up the ribbon cable. Insert the ribbon cable into the socket, Then click in the clip.
16- Go back to the oven, put all the cables back to their slots.
17- Follow the reverse steps.
18- Set the circuit breaker back on.

You should be ready to go. Remember the new board is static electricty sensitive, so I wore a wrist strap just to be sure. It is a $5 part.

The whole thing took me about 1 hour.

Hope this helps.
thanks 1 user thanked destan for this useful post.
Gls1234 on 12/15/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

billyd48359  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2011 4:46:29 PM(UTC)
billyd48359

Destan,

Your explanation of how to replace the control panel on a Whirlpool Double Oven was fantastic. I was able to easily get my control panel replaced on my own in about an hour. Whirlpool was no help at all, so thank heavens for your posting. I owe you a beer!!!

Bill
deadcandance  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 9:21:21 AM(UTC)
deadcandance

Whirlpool customer service is one of the worst I have encountered. They consider a 6-7 year old $1500.00 Range to be considered OLD!!! I said to her wow! If the population was to throw their Whirlpool appliances into the landfills after 7 years , this would be quite a horrendous situation. I think it's disgusting for a company to build appliances with a shelf life of 6 - 7 years and with only a 1 year warranty!!! What a horrible brand! I will never buy another Whirlpool brand product ever again. You spend $1500.00 on a range oven and than around 5 - 7 years the control board blows out and costs another $500.00 to replace plus a service agents fee to remove and install. I asked the Whirlpool agent if I could get the Control board discounted and she refused and said I am sorry we are unable to help you. Pathetic! Their cost on these boards is around $120.00 or so I was told by a appliance Service rep... they could discount that $500.00 board even half and still make a decent profit.
DO NOT EVER BUY WHIRLPOOL. Go with other brands instead..... Their customer service policies are horrible. Your hard earned money will be buying an appliance with a 6 - 7 year shelf life before major repairs.
aschandl  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 4:16:45 PM(UTC)
aschandl

Destan - thanks for the detail explanation! I have a Whirlpool double oven that is 7 years old and the clock started to dim a few months ago. Just recently the oven stopped working giving me an E6/F2 error on the display. Since Whirlpool has the part on back order for months now, I went the route of getting the control board fixed by Circuit Board Medics. Got great service and the cost of fixing it was about $180 including shipping back. One day turnaround. A new control board is now around $380 (if Whirlpool is ever able to get it). Based on your detail explanation, I was able to take the control board out and also put it back in again after the repair. And I am a female accountant! And couple of additional suggestions - I took pictures with my phone every step. When I unplugged the wires, I labeled them and also took pictures. This way it was very easy to plug them back in the same way. And as suggested - watch the very sharp edges!
Thanks again!!
ThatGuy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 4:31:06 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
There probably won't be any more new boards. You were smart to get it repaired and smart to take pictures. So many don't and then wish they had.

And yes, sharp edges is an understatement. I used to joke that I should get paid by the cut.
Gls1234  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2018 1:02:06 PM(UTC)
Gls1234

United States

Thank you for all who have posted on this thread & for the detailed instructions posted. I have been able to get to my control board & remove all of the connections with the exception of two on the far left side (multi colored wires coming out of a black clamp flanking a bank of black rectangles). It looks like the two pieces should pull straight out (wires & plastic black base together), but I cannot remove them. I don’t see a flange that needs to be pushed, nor any screws that need to be removed. Any suggestions?

I have pictures, but don’t see a way to attach them.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply