Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scott@limedot.com  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 16, 2011 2:29:32 PM(UTC)
scott@limedot.com

Groups: Registered

Model# SF368LEPT 0

The oven burner will not always ignite. Sometimes I'll turn the oven on and nothing happens. Other times I'll turn it on, hear the gas flowing in, hear the igniter sparking but not catching, then it gives up. Other times it will spark several times before igniting, and still others it will ignite and warm briefly, then shut down. Finally, sometimes it ignites on the first click and works just fine (rarely).

The broiler doesn't work at all. I'll turn it on and the oven igniter will start sparking instead of the broiler igniter.

My oven seems very confused. Please help!!

Thanks,
Scott
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:27:09 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scott@limedot.com Go to Quoted Post
Model# SF368LEPT 0

The oven burner will not always ignite. Sometimes I'll turn the oven on and nothing happens. Other times I'll turn it on, hear the gas flowing in, hear the igniter sparking but not catching, then it gives up. Other times it will spark several times before igniting, and still others it will ignite and warm briefly, then shut down. Finally, sometimes it ignites on the first click and works just fine (rarely).

The broiler doesn't work at all. I'll turn it on and the oven igniter will start sparking instead of the broiler igniter.

My oven seems very confused. Please help!!

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

First thing, check and make sure the power cord is attached to a properly polarized and grounded 120 VAC outlet. A proper ground is very important for the range to operate properly.
Then you'll need to make several tests at the gas distribution valve.

Part number: AP3866825
Part number: AP3866825

You'll need a multi meter to test voltage and resistances.
At the valve body terminals, with the wires labeled and remove from the middle terminal to each of the outer terminals, you should read 215 ohms resistance.

With the wires reconnected, when you select the bake cycle, you should have a reading of 8 to 18 VDC across the red and orange wires.
When you make a broil selection you should have the same 8 to 18 VDC,across the orange and blue wires.

If all checks are proper(within 10%) repalce the oven bake burner,

Part number: AP3591106
Part number: AP3591106

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
scott@limedot.com  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:44:40 AM(UTC)
scott@limedot.com

OK, I'll give this a shot Joe. Thanks. What if all the checks are within 10% tolerance and I replace the bake burner. Will this solve my problem of the bake burner trying to ignite instead of the broiler burner when I select broil?

Thanks,
Scott
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 1, 2011 5:50:51 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

OK, I'll give this a shot Joe. Thanks. What if all the checks are within 10% tolerance and I replace the bake burner. Will this solve my problem of the bake burner trying to ignite instead of the broiler burner when I select broil?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

Yes, you'll pretty much have it done and working, once you do all the tests and and check the wiring.

scott@limedot.com  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:42:26 AM(UTC)
scott@limedot.com

OK Joe, here's where I am...got a multimeter but couldn't figure out how to use the thing. I replaced the bake burner anyway but still have the same behavior. The bake burner ignites no problem, but then goes out before fully heating up to the set temperature. What's more concerning though, is that when I set the oven to broil, the igniter for the bake burner tries to spark instead of the igniter for the broiler. What should I do next?
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2011 5:37:23 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

OK Joe, here's where I am...got a multimeter but couldn't figure out how to use the thing. I replaced the bake burner anyway but still have the same behavior. The bake burner ignites no problem, but then goes out before fully heating up to the set temperature. What's more concerning though, is that when I set the oven to broil, the igniter for the bake burner tries to spark instead of the igniter for the broiler. What should I do next?

Scott,

Sorry, My fault. Here's a Post from The APP Repair Forum, it'll help get you through the use of a multimeter.

[http://forum.appliancepartspros...continuity-ohmmeter.html]

Apparently, I forgot to attach this post, on my previous responses.

As for the oven burner igniters, They should both spark, whenever a Bake or Broil selection is made, Theres a safety circuit built into the DSI module that activate both the oven spark igniters.

So, it's very important we verify the proper voltage and circuit resistances,with a meter.

Good Luck,
scott@limedot.com  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 4:37:51 AM(UTC)
scott@limedot.com

Hi Joe,

I had an authorized Whirlpool repair man take a look, and he diagnosed that the DSI module was faulty. Unfortunately, he wanted $450 to replace it. I'm happy to replace it myself if I can find the part. I did not see a DSI module for sale on the AppliancePartsPros site. Do you know where I can order it? Time is of the essence as we are moving next weekend and I need this oven to be fixed before we move out!

Thanks,
Scott
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:16:54 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Hi Joe,

I had an authorized Whirlpool repair man take a look, and he diagnosed that the DSI module was faulty. Unfortunately, he wanted $450 to replace it. I'm happy to replace it myself if I can find the part. I did not see a DSI module for sale on the AppliancePartsPros site. Do you know where I can order it? Time is of the essence as we are moving next weekend and I need this oven to be fixed before we move out!

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

The AppliancePartsPros part number is

Part number: AP5178660

You'll be saving quite a bit of money if you order and install it yourself.It's not that hard a job.

Thanks and Good Luck,
simeonch  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2012 11:51:10 AM(UTC)
simeonch

Where is the DSI located?
Joe / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:24:20 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: simeonch Go to Quoted Post
Where is the DSI located?

The DSI Spark Module

is located up in the control panel, When you remove the rear cover panel, it 'll be located in the lower right corner area of the console assembly. Make sure you label the wires when you unplug them from the original board, to ease the re- installation.

Good Luck and Thanks,
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply