Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sjeffries  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 1:45:30 PM(UTC)
sjeffries

Groups: Registered

I have an old electric stove and the replacement insulation is discontinued on every site that I have searched. This is a narrow apartment style range that is used in a cottage and it fits perfect in the spot. Mice got into the insulation and made a mess. The rest of the oven works great. Unfortunatley, the odor is unbearable.

I have three questions:
1. Can I replace the insulation with a standard oven type insulation that I buy at any appliance parts store?
2. Do you know if this model can be disassembled?
3. Where can I find the narrow style stove to replace this stove? It doesn't appear they make that style anymore.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

TechnicianBrian  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 4:11:29 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Groups: Senior Expert

You can replace the insulation with something from a similar product that will fit. The range can be disassembled, but it uses what I call unibody construction, so the sides will also be the supporting structure requiring an extra set of hands. And as for a replacement stove, they are still made, it's just most retail stores don't stock them. I know there are models by Hotpoint that may be about the same.
sjeffries  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:52:37 AM(UTC)
sjeffries

Thanks for the information. Can I use regular insulation (i.e. pink attic insulation) and just pack it in loosely?
TechnicianBrian  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:23:57 AM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

My guess would be the household insulation is not rated for the contact heat that will be generated by the oven, so you would be best to stick with an insulating blanket designed as an oven cavity wrap.
sjeffries  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:24:22 AM(UTC)
sjeffries

In your opinion, where is the best starting point for disassembing the oven (i.e. front, back, top, etc.)? I found a drawing of the oven and it appears the oven liner slides out the front (I am guessing once the door has been removed). Are there any areas in which I should watch out? Are there any parts that I should replace once I have disassembled the oven (i.e. oven liner gasket, etc.)?
TechnicianBrian  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:40:14 AM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

I would start with the top and just keep track of where each screw came from. Once you get the top removed, you should be able to pull the old insulation and install the new without to much more effort. I wouldn't try pulling the liner out the front unless you really need to because then you will also be dealing with removing wires. And wear gloves as most every edge will be sharp.
sjeffries  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:55:59 AM(UTC)
sjeffries

It sounds like the warning to wear gloves is coming from experience. Thanks.
sjeffries  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 11:04:22 AM(UTC)
sjeffries

I just noticed the handy link on the bottom of the page (View Diagrams and Photos, Order Parts). It has a great drawing of my oven (JAS01*J2) that might make an answer to my questions a bit easier. I also noticed on your website (http://www.TechnicianBrian.com ) that yesterday was your birthday. Happy Birthday Brian!
TechnicianBrian  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:28:10 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Let us know how it works out. And thanks for the b-day wishes.
sjeffries  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 3:53:18 AM(UTC)
sjeffries

Does the top pop up like a clothes dryer or does it disassble after removing the front panel, etc.?
Will I be able to reach the insulation that (I assume) is under the liner? In addition, I have been doing some looking and having a hard time finding replacement oven liner insulation. Is there a specific yellow pages category that I should be looking under?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply