Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chrisw  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2007 12:28:40 PM(UTC)
chrisw

Groups: Registered

I have a Thermador RDSS30 that for some time now has been acting strangely. The left side of the cooktop when turned on makes a strange low key bang sound before lighting. It does light though. Also, the front burner on that side when lit for a period of time just shuts off and will not light again as there is spark but no gas flow. If that burner is left off for a period of time, it does resume functionality but only to repeat the problem again.

The right side burners on the same stove, appear to let too much gas out. The flame is inconsistent around the circle and at times goes very high.

I'm ready to replace this thing but I know it can be fixed.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

chrisw  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2007 9:08:14 AM(UTC)
chrisw

Well I decided to take the cooktop apart to see if I could find anything visually afoul but everything looked good underneath. There were no frayed wires or anything that looked worn.
chrisw  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:50:57 PM(UTC)
chrisw

Ok ... not only is the side that houses the X-LO burners acting funny but now the baking element in the oven no longer getting hot. The broil element is working fine but the baking element is not. The panel clicks over and over again but the element never heats up.

If I can only get Gene to read this post my wife would love me even more !!!
kawfeeman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:23:11 AM(UTC)
kawfeeman

Groups: Senior Expert

the sequential or XLO burners are very strange... that loud banging noise when you turn on the XLO burners is the solenoid clanking when actuated .. more than likely the loud noise is an indication that the solenoid valve is beginning to fail especially since it wil not remain on.. BOSCH ( owns TDor ) has come up with a new kit for the simmer controller and the potentiometers .. this pieces work in conjunction with each other .. the POT's go on the valves and tell the blue simmer controller box what the position of the knob is .. the simmer controller receives and sends info / power to spark module and to the solenoid valves.. id try plugging the orifice of the valve that goes out while on and check voltage to the solenoid valve . ( post results ) .. btw: you shoud get 220vac to the bake element, if you do, then you have a bad element, if not there are relays to check and the ERC as well ..
chrisw  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2008 6:33:10 PM(UTC)
chrisw

Originally Posted by: kawfeeman Go to Quoted Post
the sequential or XLO burners are very strange... that loud banging noise when you turn on the XLO burners is the solenoid clanking when actuated .. more than likely the loud noise is an indication that the solenoid valve is beginning to fail especially since it wil not remain on.. BOSCH ( owns TDor ) has come up with a new kit for the simmer controller and the potentiometers .. this pieces work in conjunction with each other .. the POT's go on the valves and tell the blue simmer controller box what the position of the knob is .. the simmer controller receives and sends info / power to spark module and to the solenoid valves.. id try plugging the orifice of the valve that goes out while on and check voltage to the solenoid valve . ( post results ) .. btw: you shoud get 220vac to the bake element, if you do, then you have a bad element, if not there are relays to check and the ERC as well ..

Ok so I did some more reading after your post and in order to avoid killing myself by testing with the elements on, I did a continuity test on both elements just to verify the working one was good and if the other was bad I would have different results.

After checking continuity on the broiler element, there is continuity anywhere from 20 - 50 ohms however, on the baking element there is 0. Going forward I'm going to take a shot and say it's safe to purchase the element even if there are other causes.

If you can chime in on this it would be greatly appreciated. Also, the element that is listed in the parts breakdown for my oven isn't the same on that is there. Should I still order the one on the site or are they generic as far as Bosch is concerned?
kawfeeman  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2008 11:45:01 AM(UTC)
kawfeeman

i always order ORIGINAL OEM parts ONLY!
chrisw  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2008 2:50:37 PM(UTC)
chrisw

i always order ORIGINAL OEM parts ONLY!

I agree 100% and i'll be sure an explain this better. The part I need, is the baking element. On this site when I look it up it says it's this one :

http://www.appliancepartspros.c...t_id=2834097&image=0

However the one that's currently in the oven looks more like this (24):

http://www.appliancepartspros.c...ect/8/z/c/8zc255r6jh.gif

I'm pretty sure I should buy the one listed first but I just want to be sure. The current one only has one loop but the replacement clearly has more and if the measurements are right, it's not as big as my current one so i'm a bit confused.

Also the current element measures 20 1/2 inches wide from connector to connector and 13 1/2 inches deep from front to back of oven.
kawfeeman  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2008 6:39:08 AM(UTC)
kawfeeman

the original thermador part # is 367646 ... if they have this one then order it, otherwise you can get it direct from thermador's site...
chrisw  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2008 6:43:27 AM(UTC)
chrisw

the original thermador part # is 367646 ... if they have this one then order it, otherwise you can get it direct from thermador's site...

I just got off the phone with Thermador and they verified that part number as well. The one on this site however looks completely different. I'm going to order from them and after I have the oven fixed, I go to work on the cooktop. Will update when i get the element.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply