Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
m4p  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 2, 2011 12:13:46 PM(UTC)
m4p

Groups: Registered

I have a Magic Chef electric range, Model 38FN-6TVW. It has an electronic control panel with the following controls:

Timer - Clock - Cook Time - Clean - Stop Time - Broil - Bake

The control buttons that aren't working are Clean, Broil, Bake. The other buttons are working.

Recently, when turning on the oven via the control panel, the oven would start to heat up, and very shortly thereafter, it would turn off. By turning on the oven on a few more times, it would eventually stay on.

Now, when pressing the Bake Temp control panel button, nothing happens at all.

I believe this happened to us last year, around the same time of year. We've had lots of rain and it's very humid here. Once the humidity lowers, the controls work again.

I have found a site that sells parts for this model, but not sure which part would need replacing. Here is where I found some parts listed: **************** Appliance Parts Source

The range is about 23 years old and I know I need a new one. I was just hoping that perhaps it might be something minor.

Thanking in advance for any help or comments, it is greatly appreciated.

GA_googleFillSlotWithSize("ca-pub-3927874040083090", "HouseRepairTalk_Forum_336x280_BTF", 336, 280);
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2011 4:32:01 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for MAGIC CHEF 38FN-6TVW RANGE- S/C F/S ELE | AppliancePartsPros.com

It sounds like the clock (Item 3 in Section 2) is toast.
Click on the picture for more info/views.

Looks like the clock is a control board with the key switches on another board but hard wired to the control board.

Could be that the electronic component that interprets the key inputs is faulty.
If this is the case the clock will have to be replaced.

Also could be that you have a cold solder joint between the key board and the control board.

Often a cold solder joint is a duller gray or has pin holes so visually inspect them.
I would also gently wiggle the ribbon cable that connects the two boards together while watching the solder side of the connection. If you see the ribbon cables wire move in the solder then it is loose and should be re-soldered.
A magnifying glass comes in handy here.
Also check the solder/circuit trails on the boards for minute cracks.
My guess would be it would be one of them that is part of the ribbon cable circuit.

FYI: Most keyboards use a single common wire for a number of keys (3 or so) which explains why a number of keys do not work while others do.

Be sure to unplug the unit when working on it, 240 volts is lethal.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
m4p  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2011 9:39:47 AM(UTC)
m4p

Denman, thanks so much for the reply, I really appreciate it. I printed out your reply to refer to when I am checking out the problem. What's kind of odd about this whole thing is humidity seems to have an effect. We've had tons of rain here. If I recall correctly, we had had this problem in the past, and once we got rid of the humidity, it worked again. But I've had the air conditioning going the past few days and it hasn't helped. So, maybe it's not humidity but just a short or the cold solder joint like you said.

Thanks for the tip on unplugging it. I'm so dumb I had thought to just turn the breaker off. A lot easier just to unplug it :D

I'm going to take it apart this weekend. One last question. It's just simply removing screws to get the cover part off where the board is, right? I'm at work now so can't see the oven till I get home.

Thanks again for your help.
denman  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2011 12:41:16 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Not sure how to get at the assembly as I have never taken one of these apart.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
m4p  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2011 3:34:02 PM(UTC)
m4p

Ok, thanks. I'll figure it out. Hopefully it's something minor and I can fix it. Thanks again!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply