Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lost Dog  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2011 10:12:30 PM(UTC)
Lost Dog

Groups: Registered

Hey guys,

This is a Sears Kenmore 9517 with a “Triple Task Drawer” which we bought in late 2004.

A couple days ago I tried to bake with it and it got stuck on pre-heat. It never got hotter than around 150 degrees (I checked with an oven thermometer). I tried turning on the broiler, and it too got warm but not hot. It never turned cherry red. I closed the oven with the broiler on and it too never got warmer than around 150.

The “Triple Task Drawer”, which is a little oven underneath the main oven, works fine as does the range.

Having a tiny bit of experience with dryer repair, I checked the baking element with a cheap multimeter set to ohms and it appears to my untrained eye be fine. I even poked at it after setting it to bake awhile and it was hot to the touch but not searing. The oven seems to think it’s fine and is not giving me any error code.

I also tried cutting off the circuit breaker for an hour or so, then turning it back on, but no luck.

Any tips would be much appreciated. I’d love to not have to spend $$$$ on a repair man!

--Lost Dog
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Lost Dog  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:20:45 PM(UTC)
Lost Dog

I did further testing today.

I took the back off the oven and used the multimeter to test the broiler and it checked out. I didn't notice any burned out wires or anything like that. I tried to check the oven sensor, but the holes were too small for my multimeter prongs.

Finally, I plugged it in again after having it disconnected for 24 hours, and tested it using the oven thermometer. I'm still having the same problem, but I got slightly different results. This time, when I started cold and left the door ajar, both the broiler and the baking element were able to get cherry red. When I closed it, I discovered that the oven is always 200 degrees colder than the temperature I set it for, whether I use bake or broil functions.

Any ideas about where I can go from here would be much appreciated!

--Lost Dog
denman  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:09:19 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for KENMORE 66595172300 | AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

It sounds like the control board is the problem.
Part number: AP3604369
Part number: AP3604369

I base this on a couple things:
1. You know that the elements will work OK in some instances so they are OK.
2. The unit does not come out of preheat so the board does know that the temperature is low which sort of indicates that the temperature sensor is OK but the board is not processing that information correctly.
You could check this by unplugging the unit and the sensor and measuring it with your meter. Below is a link, check out 7,8, 20 and 21. If you cannot gete your meter leads into the connector take a couple paper clips, wrap them around you meter probes several times and now you have a much smaller meter probe. or just cut a paper clip in hafl and insert the halves into the plug then measure.
3. The symptoms changed after you removed power from the unit which indicates that something reset electronically.

http://www.applianceaid.com/elecrange.html

After you check the temperature sensor and if it is OK you may want to order from AppliancePartsPros as they will allow you to return the board if it does not solve your problem. see their return policy.

Note: I do not work for AppliancePartsPros so am not just trying to get an order out of you.
File Attachment(s):
95172300.pdf (274kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Lost Dog  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:06:39 AM(UTC)
Lost Dog

Hey Denman,

I used your paperclip trick and it worked great. To my untrained eye it looks like the sensor is fine, so sadly it looks like you're right about the control board. I'll order a new one and let you know how it goes.

Thanks a lot!

--Lost Dog
Lost Dog  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:39:25 PM(UTC)
Lost Dog

I just got a new brain for my Kenmore and installed it without too much difficutly. I took some pictures before performing the transplant to make sure I didn't cross any wires! I found some pictures on a different thread which helped me figure out how to remove the old brain: by twisting the little metal tabs about 35 degrees each until they were parallel to the slots, allowing the control board to slide to the left and pop out. Then I just reversed the process, and presto! Works like new! Thanks Denman!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply