Discuss

Modern Maid oven not working

in

Oven Repair (including Ranges and Cooktops)

. "

Hi, We have a relatively old Modern Maid electric Stove/Oven which is working fine. However, the part with the timer

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Oven Repair (including Ranges and Cooktops) » Modern Maid oven not working

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 09:14 AM

Sheyda.san is on a distinguished road
Default Modern Maid oven not working
Brand: Modern Maid   Age: More than 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Hi, We have a relatively old Modern Maid electric Stove/Oven which is working fine. However, the part with the timer and self clean dials, which never worked properly, but didn't cause any issues. One day the timer just started making a relatively loud buzzing noise out of no where, so we opened it up and disconnected the electrical wire that powers that time/self clean window. However, it seems this caused the oven to stop working. My question is if anyone knows if there's a way of disabling the timer and self clean dials and their functions without affecting the functions of the oven. the stove top works fine even when the power to the time is disconnected, but the oven doesn't turn on. the light of the oven however still works.

Thanks in advance for any help.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 01-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

It is hard to say which wire to disconnect without the wiring diagram for this model. If you have and can post the wiring diagram or a pictures of the clock with all the wires connected, it might help.

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 AM

Thanks Gene, for your quick reply!
I took some pictures of the clock and the wiring, but unfortunately I can't find the wiring diagram.
Here are the pictures:
Front View: http://individual.utoronto.ca/sheyda/DSC00859.JPG
Top View: http://individual.utoronto.ca/sheyda/DSC00858.JPG
Close up of top view: http://individual.utoronto.ca/sheyda/DSC00857.JPG

I also found the model number (FDU1582WC0) and this document: Model FDU158

I hope this is useful.

Thank you.

Sheyda
Old 01-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Sheyda,

Remove and insulate the black wire connected to the white coils on the right side of the clock (http://individual.utoronto.ca/sheyda/DSC00857.JPG).

You would not be able to use the self clean and/or time bake without the clock.

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 01-26-2009, 03:51 PM

Thanks Gene,

That's what we did, which got rid of the buzzing noise, but it also resulted in the oven not working, that's why in this picture we reconnected the black wire back. My knowledge of electric currents is very small, but I believe the problem is that the oven dial and the clock are connected in series, so once we take the clock and self clean out of the circuit, we are disconnecting the power to the oven as well. With that assumption, we disconnected both input and out put wires going into the clock (the black one, and a white one below it) and connected them to one another, in order to keep the circuit closed, but take the clock out of it, but that resulted in blowing a fuse!
Old 01-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Doing that you created a short because the black wire is hot and the white wire is neutral. Try to disconnect the white wire only. If it would not help then I need a better picture, shows all wires and terminals on the clock.

Gene.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:27 AM

Gene,
I forgot to thank you for your help. I tried what you said and the problem is now resolved. You saved us over $600 worth of a new stove!

Thank you

Sheyda
Old 02-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

You are welcome. I'm glad you were able to fix it.

Gene.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:21 PM

Andy C is on a distinguished road

I think I may have a similar problem. Right now I have power to the lights, but nothing going to the burner. I think the problem is in the clock. I've checked all of the wiring connections and tested for continuity in the elements. I did my best to trace it back and I'm pretty sure it's the clock that's the problem. I'm guessing that it would be pretty impossible to replace the clock, so is there any way I can take it out of the circuit? I tried to take a picture showing both the oven (I know, it's ancient) and one of the clock itself. The clock has two screw terminals on the top with two black wires connected to them and two screw terminals on the bottom, one with one red wire connected and the other with two. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (142.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (190.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

By the chance, do you have any schematic for the oven?

Gene.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.