Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cooksle  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:08:18 AM(UTC)
cooksle

Groups: Registered

Help! I have a KitchenAid electric cooktop mounted directly over a KitchenAid built in oven. By running the overn too hot(self cleaning feature) I burned out the powerboard and had no cooktop function at all. I replaced the power board and now have function in 3 of the 5 burner coils, but the burner coils that are hooked up to terminals P14 and P16 on the powerboard do not work. They work if I hook the wires up to terminals P8 of P17, but either way, I only have 3 working terminals on the power board which I need to power 5 burners/wires. Given that I can get the burners to work, I know it's not the burners or the on/off board that are the problem. Appliaceparts Pros has sent me 2 powerboards with the same result. When I ordered the boards from Whirlpool a few years ago, I had no problem. Does anyone out there know if it's the powerboard? Or if I'm having another problem with the cooktop. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 8:49:10 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
According to the wiring diagram the RR element should be connected to the terminal P20, the RF - to the terminal P16, the LR - to the P17, the OR/WH wire from the smaller coil (dual element - LF) - to the terminal P6 and the OR/BK wire from the large coil - to the P10 terminal.

The terminals P8 and P14 are for the incoming power L2. Possible the wrong connection could damage the power board.

Gene.
cooksle  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2009 8:04:21 AM(UTC)
cooksle

Thank you so much! I was sure I had hooked up the new power board the right way, but had no wiring diagram. Turns out I had mixed up a couple of wires. I reconnected them as you said and my cooktop now works fine. Thank you so much!!:) :D
cooksle  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2009 8:07:27 AM(UTC)
cooksle

:D Thank you so much! I was sure I had connected the new power board the same as the old one, but I had no wiring diagram and mistakenly mixed up the wires. I reconnected the wires as you said and now my cooktop works fine. Thank you!! Lauren:)
Gene  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:55:20 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You are welcome. I'm glad you were able to fix it.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply