Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
snowdooer  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 7, 2011 4:25:44 PM(UTC)
snowdooer

Groups: Registered

The oven and broiler on our Tappan gas range is not working. The igniters for both come on as needed, but the gas valve does not open. I checked the 120v power coming out of the Br and Ba relays and they both have 120v to ground when their respective relay picks up.

I'm not suspecting the thermocouples are bad, since they both seemed to stop working at the same time. The range burners work fine.

What am I missing? What checks do I do next? Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2011 11:55:48 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: snowdooer Go to Quoted Post
The oven and broiler on our Tappan gas range is not working. The igniters for both come on as needed, but the gas valve does not open. I checked the 120v power coming out of the Br and Ba relays and they both have 120v to ground when their respective relay picks up.

I'm not suspecting the thermocouples are bad, since they both seemed to stop working at the same time. The range burners work fine.

What am I missing? What checks do I do next? Thanks

Snowdooer,

Since you have a multi meter,

Check for 120 VAC, on the two wires from the control board to the igniter(s), not the igniter wires, the wires from the cabinet.
No or low voltage would indicate a wiring problem.

If you have the proper voltage,

You'll need to access the dual burner oven valve,

Check for 3.2 to 3.6 VAC across the valve terminals on the respective valve terminals, while the igniter is glowing.
(you'll have to do this test twice, one for bake and 1 for broil).

If you have the voltage, you'd have a bad dual burner valve, if you dont, you have weak igniters, low voltage, or if no voltage at all,a damaged wire from the igniters, or from the dual valve to the wiring harness.

Sounds like you know your way around, so you should be fine and have it figured out in no time.

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
snowdooer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2011 5:14:07 AM(UTC)
snowdooer

Groups: Registered

I checked the voltage at the gas valve last night. The voltage developed by the oven igniter only reached 2.62vac (bad igniter). The voltage for the broiler reached 3.3vac and the broiler lit.

When I was taking voltage checks the other evening I did notice that line voltage was a bit lower than I expected. I suspect, since the broiler barely reached the necessary 3.3vac, that low line voltage compounded my issues.

I'm going to buy an igniter for the oven and I'll report back if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for the reply.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:03:10 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: snowdooer Go to Quoted Post
I checked the voltage at the gas valve last night. The voltage developed by the oven igniter only reached 2.62vac (bad igniter). The voltage for the broiler reached 3.3vac and the broiler lit.

When I was taking voltage checks the other evening I did notice that line voltage was a bit lower than I expected. I suspect, since the broiler barely reached the necessary 3.3vac, that low line voltage compounded my issues.

I'm going to buy an igniter for the oven and I'll report back if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for the reply.

Snowdooer,

Great job, and a good, proper diagnosis(especially the low line voltage).

It will take longer for the igniter to produce the proper amps/voltage to the valve, but once it's there you'll be fine.

Thanks for the response/update,

Good Luck,
:D :D :D
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply