Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
grapes  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2007 8:11:40 AM(UTC)
grapes

Groups: Registered

The display went out completely on my Thermador double oven. After viewing other posts on the web, it sounded like an easy fix, so I bought the kit, which includes a new display head and power relay board.

I am having trouble accessing the power relay board. OK, this is a dumb question, but how much do I have to disassemble to get at the thing? I was trying to pull the jumpers off by reaching in, but with only about 2.5" clearance, I can't reach the back ones.

I removed the glass control panel carefully, and the display head, and the metal covering that gives limited access to the board. It would be a lot easier if I could slide things out, but I don't see how to do this simply (i.e., in a way that a klutz like me can make sure I put it back correctly).

Thanks for any advice!

Grapes
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2007 9:40:53 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi grapes

Based on my experience in most case you do not have to replace the power board. Very often replacing just the display board and wire harness helps to eliminate the problem.

Gene.
grapes  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2007 9:50:43 AM(UTC)
grapes

Thanks, Gene!

If I did want to replace the power relay board, how would I do it? I'm halfway into it and need to decide whether to finish (if it's something within my capabilities) or to back up and just swap the display head and harness.

I've already detached the board and the jumpers I can reach.

Thanks again!

grapes
Gene  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2007 9:54:09 AM(UTC)
Gene

Unfortunately it is not possible to replace the power board from the front of the oven. The oven has to be removed from the cabinet in order to it. It is very heavy and you need a big guy to help you.

Gene.
grapes  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2007 3:51:37 PM(UTC)
grapes

Many thanks Gene! I managed to reattach the original board without damaging anything. With the new display head everything looks good.

I just hope the old power relay board/design doesn't somehow burn out the new display head.

Again, thanks. I would probably have continued to disassemble the oven if you hadn't warned me.

Grapes
dzd9fy  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2007 3:20:46 PM(UTC)
dzd9fy

I too wonder if only replacing the dsiplay head is enough....

The reason I asked, is that approximately 20 months ago I replaced the display kite [35-00-704] head and wire connector with parts from Thermador, but not the relay board [35-00-760] as I did not want to pull the entire oven out. Now it seems the display is getting dim when in use.

Suggestions?
Gene  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2007 3:37:50 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi dzd9fy

In most cases is enough to replace just the display board and the harness.

- The part number for the new kit (the Thermador does not sell the display board separate) AP3383663

Good luck.
Gene.
dzd9fy  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2007 3:54:16 PM(UTC)
dzd9fy

Gene,

So, it sounds like in my instance I should go ahead and now replace the control board? Does this mean the control board is a contributor towards the display failure?

I am curious how the display dims over time.... This sounds like a very poor design by Thermador, as they obviously never really thought through the failure modes or did any time of DFMA... Maybe a parasitic draw issue???

p.s. the parts I received from them were in two separate boxes with the numbers I referenced as well as separate instruction sheets. it seemed to me from the instructions on the relay board it was only to solve a concern with reprogramming the oven fan to shut off at 199 deg F
liarslodge  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:53:44 PM(UTC)
liarslodge

This may be too late to help y'all but I had to replace my panel and main relay board. I did both from the front. The relay is not easy and may take a 3rd hand and mirror, but the factory told me I could and I did. They had recommended replacing the relay with the panel and judging by other posts this may be necessary in the long run.
Now my problem is my convection element on the lower unit shorted out and now none of the other elements below work either. I'm replacing the secondary relay hoping this works. Maybe I'm throwing $120 away...we'll see.
Carl
kawfeeman  
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2007 1:44:36 PM(UTC)
kawfeeman

Groups: Senior Expert

It is important to replace the main relay board at the same time as the display head ... the low voltage transformer contributes to the problem with the display head.. ( BOSCH which now owns THERMADOR put a lot of time and trouble to redesign the main relay board to handle incoming voltage fluctuations... ) the old relay board should always be replaced, that is why they put both parts together !! take it from me, i replace several / week.. and replacing the main relay board is very easy from the top, you just need to pull the oven out about 6-9 inches and remove metal cover .. ( in these ovens we have air switches which open and close with the cooling fans which open / close 1 leg of the 110vac.. 2nd relay boards dont go bad very often.. There is however the HTC which does trip out quite often on these ovens..
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply