Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Arjay  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2008 3:14:49 PM(UTC)
Arjay

Groups: Registered

Looking for help and guidance, our oven sporadically stinks up the kitchen with the aroma of LP gas when baking something. I replaced the igniter for the oven but that did not remedy the situation. It does not do it with the broiler. Is there a valve that is not responding correctly which needs to be replaced or is it time for a new oven?

Thanks in Advance
Arjay
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 11:12:38 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The best solution is to call a local gas company and let them pinpoint the gas leak. Then you will be able to fix it.

Gene.
Arjay  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 4:14:51 PM(UTC)
Arjay

Gene
Thanks for the reply, the oven would take a long time for the igniter to get to temperature so it would not light quickly. I replaced the igniter now it will light but occasionally it seems like the gas valve in the stove opens before the igniter is hot enough. It's only say 2 times out of 10.
I don't think our gas supplier does trouble shooting of appliances.

Thank You
Arjay
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 1:11:51 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: Arjay Go to Quoted Post
1. ...it seems like the gas valve in the stove opens before the igniter is hot enough...
2. ...I don't think our gas supplier does trouble shooting of appliances...

1. Igniter does not work by temperature. When it is "on" it draw the current and if it reached the proper level (more than 3.2 amps) then the gas valve opens. The problem with your oven can be the new igniter not aligned properly or it's too far from the burner.

2. You are right, they do not do troubleshooting of appliances, but they must to find a gas leak (if there is any) and tell you where it's coming from.

Gene.
Arjay  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:23:31 AM(UTC)
Arjay

Thanks again Gene, I wondered how it 'knew' when to open the valve assembly. This only occurs with the oven, when the broiler is used it never malfunctions. The igniter is in a cage that only bolts in one way , I don't see any means for adjustment. Now the device that measures the current and tells the valve to open is called what?If not too costly I may try that or just drag this thing out to the shooting range ventilate it and get a new stove.

Thanks Again
Arjay
Gene  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:43:16 AM(UTC)
Gene

Check the oven burner flame as described in the Owner manual (page 8). Clean the burner if needed. Adjust the flame by turning the air shatter on the bottom of the burner.

There is no a special devices measuring the current. You can learn how the oven igniter works from one of our previous posts: http://forum.appliancepartspros...1897-oven-wont-lite.html

Gene.
Arjay  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:57:38 AM(UTC)
Arjay

Gene......you are a true gentleman. I'll clean the burner and adj, this weekend and let you know how that turns out. I'll also throw an amp probe on the igniter leads and see what's happening there.

Have a Good Weekend
Arjay
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply