Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ValV  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2008 11:34:29 AM(UTC)
ValV

Groups: Registered

I'm trying to replace Rotary Switch PCB, p/n 82874. I have difficulty to handle 4 screws: regular socket ranch is not catching it. Do I need a special ranch or a 6-pronge screwdriver? Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

v2k04  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2008 11:38:21 AM(UTC)
v2k04

Groups: Senior Expert

they could be torx screws #15 is the most popular size but I'm not getting your drift on what kind they are most appliances nowadays have gone to torx
ValV  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2008 11:53:07 AM(UTC)
ValV

What "drift" would you need? It is close to a 1/8" socket ranch size. I guess, to try your torx #15 idea I should by a special ranch? Are they available at hardware stores? thanks.
magician59  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2008 1:52:48 PM(UTC)
magician59

Originally Posted by: ValV Go to Quoted Post
a special ranch?

I'm sorry...it's wrench. A ranch is where Texans raise cattle.
ValV  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2008 6:38:44 AM(UTC)
ValV

Thank you for the correction of my spelling. It doesn't solve the issue, but still - thanks. So now it is - do I need a special wrench for those screws?
denman  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2008 7:16:05 PM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
If the screw head has a hollow which looks like a star with 6 points you need a Torx wrench. They are available at hardware and auto supply stores. May have to shop around as some places want an arm and a leg.

One thing to note is some of these screw heads also have a post sticking up in the middle of the star as an extra security device. If your screws have this be sure to get a torx set that has a hole in the center to fit over and down on this post.

PS Hope the weather is nice in Texas as I am freezing my you know what off. 20 below tonight with the wind chill.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
ValV  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 6, 2008 8:27:50 AM(UTC)
ValV

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
If the screw head has a hollow which looks like a star with 6 points you need a Torx wrench. They are available at hardware and auto supply stores. May have to shop around as some places want an arm and a leg.

One thing to note is some of these screw heads also have a post sticking up in the middle of the star as an extra security device. If your screws have this be sure to get a torx set that has a hole in the center to fit over and down on this post.

PS Hope the weather is nice in Texas as I am freezing my you know what off. 20 below tonight with the wind chill.

Thanks for the torx wrench advice - I'll try it this way.

I feel your pain with the wind and chill, though not hugely much: in Chicago it is snowy, but pretty mild so far.

Thanks again.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply