Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
double-g  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 16, 2011 8:14:09 AM(UTC)
double-g

Groups: Registered

Strange Problem with self cleaning oven.

No error messages. Setting the Clean cycle starts fine (Door locks, lower element goes on) Controller allows 1 of 3 time cycles (2hr,3hr,4hr). Selecting any of these exhibits same problem.

Oven stops cleaning in about 1 hr, and never reaches proper temp. (Door unlocks, and control displays clock)

All other functions with controller work OK.
Instructons say that when the cycle is complete, Time,Door Locked, and Clean icons should remain in the display. They aren't.

Don't believe it is a temp cutout, as never reaches high temp.
Is there someting in the circuit where the time is controlled? anad what should I do?

Comments welcomed!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kayakcrzy  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2011 3:29:29 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

Turn on the broiler element to be sure it works. Also while your there, check the bake element. If one of the elements don't work. It will never achieve temp. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
ts_peach  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2011 9:30:12 AM(UTC)
ts_peach

i am having a simillar problem with my Kenmore Electric Range model 790.93752 i set the clean cycle (2hr or 3hr cycle) and start it. it locks the door starts to heat and after 15 min it clicks off.

it's done this sincei first tried it after we moved in a year ago but once i was able to get it to go through the entire cycle. i don't know if this had anything to do with it, but i noticed the door handle was getting loose so i tightened it up (thought maybe it was registering the door wasn't completely locked/sealed). the clean cycle then ran correctly. but i've tightened everything up this time and still can't get it to go. oven does heat and the broil element does work.

would love to hear any other suggestion on what to troubleshoot.
double-g  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:14:38 PM(UTC)
double-g

Originally Posted by: kayakcrzy Go to Quoted Post
Turn on the broiler element to be sure it works. Also while your there, check the bake element. If one of the elements don't work. It will never achieve temp. Tom ApplianceEducator.com

Both elements work. Book says only bake element used in cleaning. Don't remember if both elements were on when it worked.

Tried using bake @ 550F with bake element. but no results after 3 hrs.
kayakcrzy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:00:28 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

So what you saying is the bake element is not working. You need to pull the element and check it. Oh, by the way, both elements are supposed to come on in a clean cycle. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
double-g  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:32:40 AM(UTC)
double-g

Originally Posted by: kayakcrzy Go to Quoted Post
So what you saying is the bake element is not working. You need to pull the element and check it. Oh, by the way, both elements are supposed to come on in a clean cycle. Tom ApplianceEducator.com

What I am trying to say is:
Lower element works OK when baking,
Upper element works OK when broiling.

Only the lower element comes on during cleaning cycle. That's why it doesn't come up to temp.

Also, after running a short clean cycle, unit shuts off and door unlocks. There is no "cool down" time

Does this indicate a bad controller? (All functions work except the clean cycle)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking at service data sheet: states "during the cleaning process, the oven uses the bake element"

I tried baking at 550F (highest temp) and it got there, but not hot enough to degrease.
Is the thermostat bypassed for the cleaning process?
kayakcrzy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:36:46 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Yes!! Tom
double-g  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:22:59 PM(UTC)
double-g

OK...I'll look around for a controller
Thanks.../S
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply