Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
smokin  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 7:48:18 PM(UTC)
smokin

Groups: Registered

I want to order and then install recommended part # AP30305427 lower oven, bottom bake element. I thought I would remove defective bake element before ordering the new element. In trying to remove the old element I ended up with the two wires coming out of the back oven wall with crimp on connectors left attached to them. They are 90 degree connectors, that were attached by spot weld to copper rods coming out of the element. I called appliance parts pro to find out if the new element comes with crimp on connectors. They can't tell me. How do I find out if I've removed the old element properly and if the new element can be reattached by removing the old crimp on connectors and reattaching the bare copper wires coming out of the oven wall by crimping them to the new element?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 16, 2011 2:06:12 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I have never see an oven element that has the wires spot crimped to the element.
The norm is that a male connector is spot welded to the element core.
Then a female (receptacle) is crimped to the wires and this fits onto the male connector.

Below are a couple videos that show this.
YouTube - Replacing an Oven Coil (Bake Element)

YouTube - Range Bake Element Replacement (part #WB44T10011)

In one video it shows the guy using pliers to pull the connector off. Do not grab the wire only grab onto the receptacle. Only do this if the connector comes off fairly easily. You do not want to pull the receptacles off the wire. If it is stubborn try pushing the receptacle off with a flat screw driver.

It is a good idea to clip something (clothespin etc.) onto the wires just to be sure they cannot disappear into the back of the element before you get the new element attached.

I could be totally out to lunch on the above.
If it is actually crimped onto the element I would order the element and see what arrives.
You really have no other choice.
If it does not come with the crimp connects take the element to a hardware or electronics/electrical store and get new connectors that will fit the elements male ends.
Be sure to get high current connectors.
When you install the connectors on the wires it is important to cut back the wire till you get to nice clean copper. This may not be possible due to wire length.

Also you said the connectors were 90 degrees which may be difficult to get so it is important to measure through the hole in the oven to it's back wall, to ensure that the new connection will not touch the back wall.

Sorry I cannot be of any real help.

Hopefully someone else will jump in with better info.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply