Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jlamey  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 5, 2011 10:20:32 AM(UTC)
jlamey

Groups: Registered

I moved into my house 5 years ago and the existing oven computer display was so dim it was almost imposisble to read. The oven however worked fine.

This past weekend the oven was turned on and suddenly lost power. The oven is recessed into a wall and there is a microwave directly above which plugs into an outlet on the back/top of the oven.

At present there is NO power to either the oven or the microwave. However, if I push "Bake" and set a temperature power suddenly appears to both oven and microwave for approx 15 seconds and then the power goes off for about 1-2 minutes.

The power will continue to cycle on (every minute or two) and off (after 15 seconds) continually until I hit "Canel" on the oven control panel.

Any suggestions on what this could be? I have a multimeter and wiring diagram for the appliance but could use some guidance on where to start.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 5, 2011 1:12:44 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
It looks to me like there are two problems: the dim display and the power problem.

The fix for the dim display is to replace the control board aka a clock/timer.

In order to clarify the power problem I would unplug the microwave from the oven outlet and plug in a separate independent outlet to see how the oven and the microwave will work separated.

- The control board Part number: AP4089341
jlamey  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:56:31 AM(UTC)
jlamey

Gene,

Thanks for your response. I will plan to pick up a new control board for the dim display but I still have the power issue.

I disconnected the microwave from the oven and plugged the microwave into a standard wall outlet and it worked perfectly.

While the microwave was disconnected from the oven I observed the following. The oven appears to have no power when sitting idle. If I push "Bake" and then set a temperature there is a delay of about 10-15 seconds and then electricity suddenly turns on in the oven (the interior oven light will come on and there appears to be electricity flowing through the oven and heating elements). Then after about 10-15 seconds the power shuts off and will stay off for a minute or two and then it will cycle back on for another 10-15 seconds. It will continue to cycle on and off until I hit "Canel" to turn it off.

What part in the oven would control electrcial current flowing through the oven as well as to the outlet in the top/back of the oven that powers the Microwave? The circuit breaker seems to be working fine. I turned it off to take things apart and turned it back on without incident. The breaker has never tripped for this oven.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:20:38 PM(UTC)
Gene

Quote:
...What part in the oven would control electrcial current flowing through the oven as well as to the outlet in the top/back of the oven that powers the Microwave?...

This part is the relay board (#11 on the diagram) and most likely this is the culprit.

- The relay board Part number: AP4098257
Part number: AP4098257

Gene.

P.S. Talk to the Appliance Parts Pros team about the part ETA.
jlamey  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:10:39 AM(UTC)
jlamey

Gene,

I purchased a new relay board and installed in the oven and the problem has not been fixed. The exact same symtoms remain.

The wall mounted oven and (and associated microwave that plugs into the rear of the oven and is wired to the relay board) have no power at all. If I press "bake" and set a temperature the power comes on a few seconds later and will remain on for a minute or so, then the power to both units will shut off for 15 seconds and then come back on for a minute or two. This will continue to cycle on/off until I press "cancel".

Besides the relay board, what electrcial component would be capable of cycling the power on and off in this manner?
Gene  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:31:31 PM(UTC)
Gene

Have you replaced the control board as well?

You also may want to check all wire harnesses.

Gene.

P.S. I hope you've ordered all parts from Appliance Parts Pros because only in that case you can return any unneeded part even if it was installed.
jlamey  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 5:11:37 PM(UTC)
jlamey

Gene,

I replaced the control board and the relay board and the same symptons and problems exist as previously stated. The new control board display the clock and temperature setting and this remains illuminated continuously without power interruption. If I press "Bake" and then set temperature to say 400, everythings sounds like it is going to work properly however, I notice the heating elements never get hot and within 10-20 seconds I hear a small click and the oven light (if the door is open) turns off at the same time the microwave switch power turns off. What other electrcial components are in the system that could malfunction and cut power as described? Is there a thermostat or fuse that could become defective and cause this?
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 12:21:42 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jlamey Go to Quoted Post
Gene,

I replaced the control board and the relay board and the same symptons and problems exist as previously stated. The new control board display the clock and temperature setting and this remains illuminated continuously without power interruption. If I press "Bake" and then set temperature to say 400, everythings sounds like it is going to work properly however, I notice the heating elements never get hot and within 10-20 seconds I hear a small click and the oven light (if the door is open) turns off at the same time the microwave switch power turns off. What other electrcial components are in the system that could malfunction and cut power as described? Is there a thermostat or fuse that could become defective and cause this?

J,

For what it's worth,

I'm thinking a few possibilities.

1) Your microwave receptacle/fuse, should not be connected to the relay board. the red wire from the assembly should be attached to the L2(Red) terminal of the terminal block(where your power from the wall attach) on the back wall of the wall oven.
*** this is the only "common" connection between the wall oven and micro wave.

2) You should have solved your dim display or blank display by replacing both, the relay board, and ERC/Clock.
Unless you have a bad J1 harness(4 wire harness between relay board and ERC/Clock) possible, but not likely.

3) There are no fuses, thermostats, etc in the wiring harness that controls the power to the unit(s).

At this point, I believe,

A) You have a loose connection on one or all of the wires attached to the terminal block.

B) You have a bad crimp, or frayed Black(L1) or Red(L2) wire going to or at the relay board.

But,

I honestly believe you have a power supply problem, in the house wiring, to the unit.

Can you get another VOM/multi meter,you'll need two.

Once you've checked and tightenned the wiring connections,

Attach one set of meter leads to N and L1, and the other meter leads from N to L2, then reset the breakers and check your voltage.

Program and operate either component(oven or micro) and observe your meters.

a) If one power leg rises and the other drops, you most likely have a bad neutral leg in the house wiring(I think that's what you'll find).

b) If only one power leg drops, That leg is weak or loose in the wall/breaker box.

c) If you achieve correct and steady voltage at the terminal block,and either unit still has the problem, you'd have to consider a complete wiring harness for the unit.

Good Luck,

:) :) :)
jlamey  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:49:11 AM(UTC)
jlamey

Joe,

Thanks very much for the guidance. It turns out the electrcial feed in a nearby junciton box was the cause. One of the wires was too short and when wire nutted together did not provide a proper connection. This was resolved and now everything works fine.

Thanks for all your help. I'll be back when the next appliance goes bad.

-Jim
Joe / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 12:24:18 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jlamey Go to Quoted Post
Joe,

Thanks very much for the guidance. It turns out the electrcial feed in a nearby junciton box was the cause. One of the wires was too short and when wire nutted together did not provide a proper connection. This was resolved and now everything works fine.

Thanks for all your help. I'll be back when the next appliance goes bad.

-Jim

Jim,

Great job,

Glad you stuck with it and found the problem.

We'll keep an eye out for your next post,

It's always a pleasure to help, that's what we do.

Thanks Again

Good Luck,
:D :D :D
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply