Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rolandhokan  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2007 4:57:50 PM(UTC)
rolandhokan

Groups: Registered

Hi - I'm new to this site. I'm looking for advice/help in fixing my thermador downdraft exhaust fan. Model # CVS36RS/01. I push the on button to raise the unit and it starts a never ending cycle of up, down, up, down. I had to unplug it to get it to stop. The fan controls still work properly. Is there some kind of sensor that can go bad? Broken part? Please help.

thanks,
chris
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

colinmiller  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 4, 2009 11:16:55 AM(UTC)
colinmiller

I have the same problem - unit goes up and down until manually switched off with the stop start button. The unit also makes a whinning noise when the blower is operated. Any help would be appreciated.
Servicer  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 4:26:52 AM(UTC)
Servicer

Groups: Senior Expert

Down, behind the motor there are two switches, on of which is the vent switch and the other is the gear motor switch. The gear motor switch is what cuts power to teh motor when the snorkel is fully up or down. Two things can cause the snorkel assembly to continuously raise and lower, and they are a) the drive arm has backed off of the drive shaft and, therefore, is no longer making contact / aligned with the gear motor switch, or b) the gear motor switch is broken.

Attached is the service manual for the CVS units.

KC
File Attachment(s):
cvs_service_manual.pdf (522kb) downloaded 1,069 time(s).
buzzford  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:32:06 PM(UTC)
buzzford

My downdarft vent also raises and lowers with 0ut stopping. I have to unplug the vent to get it to stop. Dacor said it was the snorkel (up and down switch)? Any other suggestions?
Servicer  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:03:10 PM(UTC)
Servicer

Groups: Senior Expert

Originally Posted by: buzzford Go to Quoted Post
My downdarft vent also raises and lowers with 0ut stopping. I have to unplug the vent to get it to stop. Dacor said it was the snorkel (up and down switch)? Any other suggestions?

I'm not familiar with this model, but I imagine it would have a some sort of limit switch that will stop in when it reaches its highest and lowest points. I tried to find a wire diagram, but was unsuccessful. If somebody has one to post, I can look at it and, probably, diagnose the problem.
buzzford  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 7:06:13 AM(UTC)
buzzford

When I called Dacor they said it was probably the up/down switch. After looking at the diagram on the unit, I dont think it is the up/ down switch.
Dacor gave me a appliance parts company in Sacramento to call. They charge $70 for a 120v/5 amp switch! I found one at an electonic store with more amperage capacity but it would not be an exact fit. There price was $7.50! Thanks for your help.
cgrieve  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2009 1:03:01 PM(UTC)
cgrieve

Thank you for posting the user manual. The snorkel on my Thermador downdraft vent will not go up or down, and is currently stuck in the down position. I am guessing that the switch is the problem The troubleshooting section of the user manual suggests using an ohmmeter to check continuity, however, to access the switch wiring, the snorkel must be up (I believe). Any idea as to how to deal with this situation? Thanks.
Gene  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 12:38:59 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Most likely you have to raise the snorkel manually.

Gene.
cgrieve  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 4:01:26 PM(UTC)
cgrieve

Thanks. Can you please provide advice as to how to raise it manually? I've tried simply pulling up on the top of the snorkel, but it won't move. Is there a way to make this happen from underneath the cook-top?
Gene  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 7:17:22 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The gear motor switch wires can be accessed for test from the motor side. Also check the up/down switch and the motor winding.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply