Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chramy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:25:44 AM(UTC)
Chramy

Groups: Registered

HI,

I have a small problem that developed with our range top. I beleive that at least (1) of possibly (2) things are wrong. The range is tripping the breaker. Now, I now definitely that the surface heating switch is bad, but I also have reason to believe that the heating element is bad also.

We (my daughter) observed a "flash" described as big by her when she turned on the surface heating switch. She advised that it came from under the top or she could see it through the top. Now again, I know for sure the switch is bad, but I do not want to power it up again to see if it is the element for fear I will expand the problem from just the switch to the element also if the element is undamaged.

Is there a way to check the element with a volt meter beyond just checking the continuity? If so could you advise what I may find by, I would assume measuring the resistance. I would think if it were just the case of the element being burnt out that I would not get any continuity reading on the meter. I beleive there are two elements within this unit and I think that One may have shorted or I at least want to eliminate that. I did not remove the element as of yet to examine it. With the holiday rapidly approaching my wife is still using it for baking and the elements that still function. I was hoping to check it via the wiring, order parts then remove it.

Any help would be appreciated greatly!!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.