Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SuperMomRN  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:52:40 PM(UTC)
SuperMomRN

Groups: Registered

Have been so proud of myself for diagnosing my oven issue. Erratic heating and then failure completely to ignite. The broiler and stovetop burners work without issue. Have removed the oven door, the warming drawer, the bottom of the oven. Ready to remove the old igniter and the screws that attach it to the burner tube are on the underside of the burner tube. How am I supposed to remove them, I can barely get my hand under there, much less a small wrench!! I am obviously missing something. Can anyone help? (If you refer to the diagram for this model it is where 28 connects to 26 that I am speaking of. It is the bracket assembly that holds the igniter to the burner tube.) Any advice is appreciated!! I was trying to surprise my husband with the fact that I had repaired it myself!!

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:58:57 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The best and probably the only available solution is to remove the Bake burner and then remove the igniter.

The burner is secured with the three screws. One is in the front of the burner and the two other secured the rear part of the burner to the rear panel and can be accessed from the bottom of oven cabinet. You also have to unscrew the nut lock (#216 on the diagram).

Gene.
SuperMomRN  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:59:54 PM(UTC)
SuperMomRN

Well, with much ado, I have gotten it off. Found a thread where Gene recommended taking the entire burner assembly off. I managed to do this but not sure it was any easier. GE obviously did not want to make it easy to swap out. I have watched countless videos on how easy replacing the igniter was supposed to be.

Anyone have any advice for putting it back on?? Now I am paranoid about how "fragile" the igniter is and I have concerns about smoothly re-installing the burner tube. Those screws are not easily accessible.

Thanks so much for this blog. I have learned a lot!!
SuperMomRN  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:07:26 PM(UTC)
SuperMomRN

I did it and it works!! Have put it all back together. Just read your post Gene--thank you! Have one additional question.....the nut lock (gold nut at the bottom of the burner tube?) . I did not do anything with that. Do I need to pull the drawer back out and tighten that? What does that do exactly (i.e. what are the consequences for not doing anything with it?) Do I need to go back and tighten it?

Seriously cannot thank you guys enough! I am so excited and my husband was totally floored!!
Gene  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:41:51 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: SuperMomRN Go to Quoted Post
...Have one additional question.....the nut lock (gold nut at the bottom of the burner tube?) . I did not do anything with that...

If you did not touch it, do not worry about it.

You did very good job. Not every man can do it. Your husband should be proud of you!

Gene.
SuperMomRN  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 5:08:52 PM(UTC)
SuperMomRN

Sorry for being a pest. Went to use my oven tonight for the first time and my husband and I both felt like we smelled more gas than usual. Don't smell it when the oven is off. Do you have any suggestions about what could cause that? My husband was in the oven trying to get the screws off of the bake burner and thinks he may have loosened the nut lock (could be why I did not have to loosen it when I finally got the screws off). I am going to pull the drawer out tonight and see if it needs to be tightened. If this is loose would it cause a gas smell?? May have to call someone in the morning??
Thanks!
Lisa:o
Gene  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 2, 2010 10:41:55 AM(UTC)
Gene

Lisa,

Make sure the burner is properly connected to the orifice so the gas is coming into the burner.

Make sure the igniter is properly aligned.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply